News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Why NOT Mammoth?

Started by tenwatt, December 01, 2011, 08:05:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

claytushaywood

if anyone could tell me how to do this ordering from digikey or mouser

once I find a brand I want- say a certain type of panasonic capacitor...
is there a way I can show all the values I need of the same voltage and series/line of component on a single or however many ordering pages?  drives me freakin nuts seeing the same exact thing listed 5 times in a row, and there being 30 pages of one exact value voltage brand and tolerance of resistor
phew... thinking about it gets me crazy...
I'd really like to use them to get quality amp parts

jkokura

You can.

Essentially, lets say you find a part you're looking for, like a Mallory 150 series capacitor like this one that' 220nF: http://ca.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Cornell-Dubilier/150224K250FB/?qs=aEuGZpxfbxWb6XNdiAJZxovujoqtFz7lHxxMK8DVyNc%3d.

If you look closely on that page, you'll see a few things that will help you look for similar parts.

1. The Mouser part number (539-150224K250FB). If you look in there you'll see a series of numbers that are relevant to other parts. The "150" refers to the series, and the "224" right after refers to the 220nF or .22uF. It we take the "539-150" and drop that up in our search bar and click the 'stocked' square we end up with: http://ca.mouser.com/Search/Refine.aspx?N=1323043&Keyword=539-150

2. On that part's page you'll see a button on there for "show similar". When we press that we get this: http://ca.mouser.com/Search/Refine.aspx?FS=TRUE&N=4294759263+254300+1323043. Obviously, that's more than we may be looking for, but then we can use the filters to help us narrow down. Not to mention if we go back, we can now click on several of the various check mark boxes to narrow it down BEFORE we hit "show similar". If we hit "10%", "250 Volts" and "Axial" and we uncheck "Cornell..." and "Polyester..." we get: http://ca.mouser.com/Search/Refine.aspx?FS=TRUE&N=4294646396+4294572367+4294741869+1323043

That's just two ways, and there are others you'll pick up as you get more used to Mouser. True its tough sorting out all that stuff, but just imagine trying to just use their paper catalog...

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

blakemoth

Hey guys, sorry to resurface an old thread, but I was alerted of the complaints expressed in it and wanted to extend the invitation for you guys to voice the concerns you've had and the problems you've faced with Mammoth to me personally. Feel free to email me directly at sales@mammothelectronics.com, and I'll make your situation right. Anyone, and I mean anyone who has any issue at all, I want to hear about it and make it right.

I would love to quote and address each individual issue that was expressed in these 4-5 pages, but it would be too lengthy and not very helpful to do it that way. Feel free to respond on this thread, or via email. Either way is fine - I just want to make sure we find a solution to the problems you guys are facing.

We're constantly adjusting and finding better/higher quality/quantity suppliers so we can make prices lower and quality higher. All feed back is not only appreciated - it's our only way of improving and knowing what you guys want in a parts supplier.

Trying to sum up in one post : We've cracked down heavily on shipping procedures and powdercoating QC over the past 6-12 months, and are continuing to crack down on the tiniest of details. We just brought in a slightly higher priced line of Phenolic knobs, which are higher quality versions of many of the cheaper-priced knobs we've had in stock for a long time. Any and all feedback on these new products is greatly appreciated/needed.

Again, the quickest way to have your expectations met and problems solved is to email me directly at sales@mammothelectronics.com. I'll check back on this thread as much as I can, but if you have an urgent need, please hit me up personally.

murdog47

I use Mammoth a lot and have only had an issue twice. Both times was a minor part mixup and they made it right asap. Great customer service if you ask me.

skullservant

I order 98% of my parts from Mammoth, usually about 2-3 orders a week. I think out of the dozens and dozens of orders I've had with Mammoth they only forgot to include one resistor. And Blakes a good dude. There was one day that I had two orders and Blake even knocked off some shipping because he realized I'd forgotten something.

Mammoth all the way!

angrykoko

I order almost exclusively from Mammoth with the exception of Mouser for stuff you don't have Blake.
I think all my orders have shipped in less than 24 hours of placing order, I love that.

Only had 2 small issues with missing parts but you responded to my emails the same day to resolve the issues.

No complaints from me.

Thanks!

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese in the trap.

Mike B.

I'll chime in here as well. I use Mammoth a lot because of the quick turnaround. They're about 200 miles from me, so I can generally get orders to my doorstep within 2 days - even with the cheaper shipping option.

I too, have had issues with their QC in the past. However, as several have already mentioned, Blake has always gone out of his way to make sure the issues are resolved. Sure, in a perfect world, the orders would be correct in the first place. But, as long as the mistakes are resolved in a timely manner (which they always are), I can't complain.

Mike

whitebread47

I use Mammoth as my main US supplier.  As has been mentioned, the turnaround is the quickest I've found and packages get to me relatively fast (2 days Priority). 

Aside from some finish issues with painted enclosures (which have been only slight out of my approx. 10 orders from them) the only problem I've had is getting a couple less LEDs than I had ordered.  I didn't bother to even mention, since it was $1 in parts at the most.

I contacted Mammoth for one issue that was a USPS problem, really.  Blake responded quickly and was very professional and willing to help even though it was the Post Office's mishap.  The way I see it, if I spend $400 across multiple orders and end up about $1 in parts short, then I still have nothing to complain about if the customer service is on point.
Blake

"I don't think people are looking for the meaning of life as much as they are looking for the experience of being alive." - Joseph Campbell

blakemoth

Thanks for the kind words, fellas!

greysun

Adding to this, I've ordered 99.9% of the parts for all of my builds from Blake - I had an issue where my yellow LEDs didn't work (turns out they just worked backwards, a rare but existent flaw in some LEDs), and he credited my account so I could order more before we even figured out that they worked backwards.

I also had an issue where I forgot to order a part in my larger order earlier in the day and I wound up with a less than $50 order to qualify for free shipping. He credited the account again since the other order had already processed.

I'm yet to have an issue with a part, and I've bought 8 enclosures so far, and they're pretty solid without any flaws in the finish colors.

There's no one place that has everything cheaper than every other place, but Mammoth's prices are pretty good, and overall I find that I spend less ordering from Blake than other places when I'm doing a large order of parts (footswitches and knobs aside).

HIGHLY recommended...

pickdropper

If you read the beginning of this thread, you will see that my first two orders with Mammoth were problematic.

I had actually decided just to use other vendors when Blake contacted me after I had posted on the BYOC forum.  I give him credit because he seemed genuinely interested in fixing the issues with my second order (I never complained about the first one, so I won't hold that against him).

I've since placed a couple of orders since then with no issues.  So basically, the "Blake's a good dude" comment applies here.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

pryde

Just received an order from Blake and the Davies clone knobs (19mm diameter) are good quality. Some time ago I got some very poor quality knobs but these new one's are very nice. I wouldn't hesitate to order from Mammoth again.

blakemoth

Quote from: pryde on August 12, 2012, 05:02:29 PM
Just received an order from Blake and the Davies clone knobs (19mm diameter) are good quality. Some time ago I got some very poor quality knobs but these new one's are very nice. I wouldn't hesitate to order from Mammoth again.

Thanks for the feedback, pryde! Yeah, we brought in much nicer standard ABS knobs a while back, but just recently we brought in even nicer ones in our Phenolic ABS section. It's good to hear you like the 19mm Davies Syle (i believe you're referring to the 1510 Series), because we're bringing in a Phenolic version of that Series as well. So if you're fiending for some even nicer ones, we'll have those in in the next few months I believe.

Beedoola

Quote from: Haberdasher on December 03, 2011, 02:34:52 PM
I like Mammoth's website, its very easy to order there.

I've used them twice.  My second order had a couple of wrong/missing parts.  Blake answered my email himself and shipped the parts out free, no questions asked.  There was no reason for me to be unsatisfied.

Just like anywhere else, there are things I like buying there and things I don't, but I'll shop there again when the time is right.

yeah they're website is pretty nice - I like the ability to order multiple resistor values at once.

I think I've gone through Mammoth maybe 3 times - shipping is always pretty damn fast (USPS). This last order which I received yesterday were missing the 6 knobs I ordered. I emailed Mammoth and got a response back pretty quick assuring me the knobs would be sent out.

I haven't personally experienced this, but I've read of it elsewhere, and thats people complaining of flimsy enclosures.

GrindCustoms

I've only had one mistake with Mammoth in the last year, it was my first order, ordered a guitarpcb kit and the pcb was missing....hahaha, emailed Blake and got a pcb in the upcoming week, so that's all good

But since that time, i probably have one order per month from  Mammoth, mostly pots,knobs,jack and enclosures (unpainted).

Never got a single issue, even got shipping saving when it's a promotion (Canadian resident)...

Everytime i have a last minute add-on, i just email, order is adjusted and there we go!

Super satisfied by Mammoth's service.

Rej
Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/