News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Why NOT Mammoth?

Started by tenwatt, December 01, 2011, 08:05:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aballen

I've been lucky I guess.  Both USPS, Fedex, and UPS know me and take care of my packages.

I'm that residential guy who gets way to many overseas packages :D

TNblueshawk

Actually I've used Fed Ex so rarely as they are so expensive I really don't have a good sample size but the few times I've used them it went fine. UPS beats the living hell out of their packages like everyone else has pointed out. If I'm having rocks and sticks shipped that is not a problem. But anything else and that kind of treatment can't be good for whatever is in there. It may not hurt it but it sure isn't helping it.

The UPS dude here at work is cool and takes good care of things but man those residental dudes are on such a tight time line it ain't their problem when things are put through the grinder.
John

aballen

You know I just got my Ron Kirn strat in the mail, and the neck was a bit tweaked.  Easily fixed, but it clearly got bounced around.

blakemoth

Unfortunately it's a roll of the dice depending on your geographic location, even from city to city. Here in the Oklahoma/Texas region, UPS is incredible and USPS is horrible, and FedEx is expensive.

We're constantly talking about ways to improve our relationships with our carriers, and lower our postage costs. Thus far, UPS has been great to work with (just make sure to pack your boxes thoroughly), while USPS is inconsistent and disorganized. You get what you pay for, essentially.

FedEx hasn't quite stepped up to the plate on shipping rates yet, but as soon as they decide to extend better pricing our way, we'll extend the savings on to you all. At this point, it would be too expensive for us and our customer base. Hopefully that will change at some point soon.

The short story is that larger companies get better pricing on all shipping rates. You think the superpower ecommerce websites are doing you a favor by waiving shipping fees or free upgrades to 2nd or 3rd day delivery? For alot of them, there's almost no difference in cost. They have a lot of clout with carriers like UPS and FedEx, who will do anything for them to keep their shipping allegiance. Now, I'm glad they choose (sometimes) to pass the savings on to the customer, but presenting it as some huge favor is just not accurate.

bigmufffuzzwizz

^^Quite interesting though I'm not surprised. I've always wondered how amazon can ship so much stuff for free..
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

pryde

Just throwing in somemore feedback/praise for Mammoth. I placed an order for the free shipping deal and then realized the next day I needed a few more things  ::) e-mailed them and Blake combined my order no problem to keep the free shipping.

Also I ordered a few enclosures with cream powdercoat and find the quality good. The PC on one of them isn't dead smooth but still very exceptable, especially since I will decal and clear-coat it anyway.

One bit of feedback would be to put more tape on the shipping box seam (only had one strip) as it was not centered and everything was about to fall out after the USPS shipping gorilla's tossed it around a few days  ;D

Thanks again!

blakemoth

Quote from: pryde on September 05, 2012, 08:38:04 PM
Just throwing in somemore feedback/praise for Mammoth. I placed an order for the free shipping deal and then realized the next day I needed a few more things  ::) e-mailed them and Blake combined my order no problem to keep the free shipping.

Also I ordered a few enclosures with cream powdercoat and find the quality good. The PC on one of them isn't dead smooth but still very exceptable, especially since I will decal and clear-coat it anyway.

One bit of feedback would be to put more tape on the shipping box seam (only had one strip) as it was not centered and everything was about to fall out after the USPS shipping gorilla's tossed it around a few days  ;D

Thanks again!

Thanks for the feedback, Pryde! I let our guys know about the tape issue, so they will be watching out for off-centered taping.

frankie5fingers

I've made a few orders from Mammoth this year.  Once I received a painted enclosure with several bubbles, most places would call it a blem.
I got a couple of DPDT stomps in another order;  the "industrial grade" DPDTs.  Simply hand tightening the nut broke the threaded top off the body.  Fortunately I bought two.  I have a Carling on the way.  Again, for the most part, the stuff's pretty good and Blake does a great job of follow up so that can't be faulted.  Inconsistent orders and poor quality I can get from Ebay; I appreciate that he's interested in constant improvemet.