News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Why NOT Mammoth?

Started by tenwatt, December 01, 2011, 08:05:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jkokura

I think my post above mentions that I order from PPP all the time. I will note that you often pay duties ordering from PPP. They by far have the best variety in colour and box size over the competition, and their service for me has been outstanding. Just be prepared for potential duties.

jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

Davefx

My first order from Mammoth came within 4 days, and everything was right as far as no mistakes.  I'm fortunate of course to live in the US so thank God I don't have duty taxes.. ugh! I will agree with you wholeheartedly on PPP Jacob.  I've ordered colored boxes 2 different times and loved them!
I use Mouser a LOT too as well as Smallbear.. Steve has a lot of cool stuff that others don't too.

Dave

sgmezei

Small Bear and Mouser for most stuff. Mouser ships orders over $200 for free to Canada and pays the duty. Mine arrives the NEXT DAY! They overnight it, but of course you are buying a couple hundred dollars worth.

I always pay duty on orders from Mammoth and PPP.  PPP has done awesome jobs on the painted enclosures I have recieved. Mammoth has always made things right.
So on a $150-300 order I will get charged about $50 shipping, and then another $40 to $50 duty! This makes me just order most of my stuff from SB. It's not worth saving $1 per enclosure when I get nailed with duty. All have offered me good service.

DuctTapeRiot

Have any of the other Canucks here ever been charged duty when using a carrier other than UPS??  I have never been charged any duty by anyone other than them.

TNblueshawk

I believe in some countries what UPS is doing is called bribery  ::)
John

Comfort Player

So does UPS stand for

U Picked it Sucker....  ;D

Sounds like a rip off for our northern neighbors, eh..
Silence..... I Keeeeeel youuuuuu....

DuctTapeRiot

Quote from: TNblueshawk on January 06, 2012, 06:41:10 PM
I believe in some countries what UPS is doing is called bribery  ::)

Ya, or outright f#$#$ing theivery. Imagine if the pizza guy showed up at the door with the $100 worth of pizza you ordered and said, "Well I need another $30 handling fee because I had to put the boxes in my car.  You can either pay it, or I will keep your pizza and the $100 you already paid".  I would call the cops. Or more likely my rageometer would override my dontdothatyoullgotojail filter and I would break his knee caps and just take the pizza.  I really tried not to rage too hard on the UPS guy cause I know he is just a shmo delivering packages but he definitely heard a few choice words.

It would be different if they were up front about it, ie let you know ahead of time that the charge was coming, at least then you could make an educated decision. 

At any rate I will never be using UPS, or anywhere that only offers UPS as an option again.

sgmezei

I am not sure, but I believe mammoth and ppp and ceriatone all use UPS and I always get duty. That being said, that is usually the only option to be picked for international shipping as far as I know.

I will still support these places, but only order when I HAVE to.

Comfort Player

Not sure about international, but I know on Mammoth the default is UPS.  It can be changed but you have to select "More Carriers" from the checkout page.  Kind of easy to miss

After selecting More Carriers.  Doesn't make a huge difference on this sample order but for larger orders it can be significant

Silence..... I Keeeeeel youuuuuu....

TNblueshawk

Yep, I know Blake at Mammoth has had a problem with that, ie. people don't know to hit the box to check another carrier. I think he would be better off not having anything default and have it as a mandatory fill in screen and default to blank. That would make it fool proof at that point.
John

DuctTapeRiot

Well what got me was when I was looking at the shipping options (I did know about the "more Carriers" thing) UPS looks quite a bit cheaper initially.  I don't remember exactly but for my last order (keeping in mind it is coming to Canada) UPS shipping was listed at ~$24 and USPS was ~$40, so of course I picked UPS.

jkokura

Yeah, it's a mistake most Canadians make. Hopefully just once.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

Matt Gnarly

Quote from: jkokura on January 05, 2012, 10:31:26 PM
I think my post above mentions that I order from PPP all the time. I will note that you often pay duties ordering from PPP. They by far have the best variety in colour and box size over the competition, and their service for me has been outstanding. Just be prepared for potential duties.

jacob

It seems odd that there would be duty for the enclosures as they could be considered a US product as they are painted and drilled in the US.

pickdropper

I placed my first order with Mammoth and received the parts a couple of weeks ago.

It was hit and miss for me.

The good:
1.) Fast shipping.
2.) Neatly organized and labeled parts
3.) Easy website to navigate.

The bad:
1.)  I ordered 3 powder coated enclosures and all of them had visual defects.  The first one was black matte powder coat and it was missing some paint on the bottom and had a scratch on the side.  I used a black sharpie and moved forward.  Not a big deal.  On the second enclosure, it was an almond color, but their were blue inclusions at the bottom of the enclosure.  Maybe it was touching another chassis at some point in the process.  I used it, but it is pretty ugly.  On the third one, there is deformation where they punched (not drilled) the holes for the switches, pots and LED.  I wasn't crazy about it, but again used it anyways.

2.)  I ordered 5-6 pots from them and 2 of them were missing the washers.  One was also missing the nut.  Not tragic, but annoying.

At this point, I haven't decided if I am going to bring it up to them or not.  I've used all the parts, so I am clearly not going to send them back.  The only reason I would let them know is so they could fix it going forward.  I would imagine that they would want to know why I would choose another parts supplier in the future instead of them.

Now, I will admit that I am just getting into this, so I don't know what is the norm for acceptable powder coating defects and inclusions.  I plan on ordering for PPP and see what their quality is like.

Do you folks deal with similar issues when you are buying powder coated enclosures?

Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

Davefx

Haven't tried Mammoth for powder coated enclosures but I've ordered those from PPP and am extremely pleased.  My parts order with Mammoth went well but ya know, I better look at the bags of pots I got a bit closer to check for missing hardware!  Haven't seen any thus far.

Dave