News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Why NOT Mammoth?

Started by tenwatt, December 01, 2011, 08:05:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CRBMoA

I have it on good authority that the Group Buy in the link below is gonna be a Mammoth deal. ;)

Pot, switch and jack Group Buy

jkokura

Haha Chris, that's funny... Good authority!

Consider me in, give me a PM of the details.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

bigmufffuzzwizz

Me too! I tried to get in on the last one but I'm sure it was soo busy I never ended up getting included. Hopefully this one is much bigger!
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

tenwatt

Quote from: CRBMoA on December 06, 2011, 12:58:12 AM
I have it on good authority that the Group Buy in the link below is gonna be a Mammoth deal. ;)

Pot, switch and jack Group Buy

Count me in.
Not too bright....

TNblueshawk

If you want in the group buy jump on over to the BYOC thread and stand and be counted. Crbmoa is going to be working up some stuff in the coming week or so maybe in terms of some specifics.
John

Geosh

Just got my order from them. Quick shipping, good prices, and the powder coating they did for me looks excellent. I will be buying from them again.

Davefx

I just placed an order to them on Sat. My first order, so we will see. So far no shipping notification.  Does he notify when he ships? I mean  I'm used to Mouser same day shipping, so I'm spoiled, lol! Hopefully, he doesn't take too long. 

Davefx

LOL well not 30 mins after i posted this, i got a shipment notification! Good deal!!!

J0K3RX

I usually order from thaishine.com here in the US but I ordered from Mammoth this time and got the stuff in about 4 days, about the same as Thaishine... They sent an order confirmation with tracking number also. I got the stuff and everything looked good except for one thing.. They forgot to include 1 of the items that I paid for. I double checked on my order confirmation and it was there and it was also checked off the packing slip included inside the box? It was just 6 LED bezels and I emailed them and let them know.. Blake replied to my email and said they would get them mailed out to me ASAP... No biggie  :-\ I will still order from them again but it will have to be when I need a lot of stuff since the shipping is very expensive as compared to Thaishine's FREE shipping for everything!

DuctTapeRiot

Another + for Mammoth is that they are adding new stuff all the time, Blake had the MAX1044s in stock like 2 weeks after I asked about them, and there is a good thread going on the Mammoth forum where you can request stuff that is not on the site, and from reading the posts there Blake is very active and it looks like they have added quite a bit of the stuff that has been requested.

J0K3RX

Yeah, Mammoth does have a lot of good stuff that's for sure and he (Blake) seems like a nice guy! But, for small orders of 3 or 4 items it's hard to beat Thaishine.com! Since they have a minimum order of $10.00 and they pretty much beat Mammoth prices on pots and other common parts like foot switches and like I said before always FREE shipping! I really like the pots that Thaishine carry, they are Alpha 16mm pcb mount with plastic covers so your boards can sit directly on top of them and not short out... They are good for some parts and Mammoth is good for others like polyester film box type capacitors and plain, drilled, and painted boxes etc... You just have to compare prices and the lowest price wins, not sacrificing quality of course! Not knocking Mammoth at all, I think they are great! Very happy with the stuff I got from them!!!  ;)

jkokura

You guys raise a good point. However, I'm finding that shipping with Mammoth is both expensive and a problem for me here in Canada. Ordering from Smallbear I never pay duties. My last order from Mammoth had both mistakes in it (third time in a row), and the 'savings' I experienced from buying with them were completely negated by a massive duties charge. I don't know what the difference is, but I never have problems like that with Smallbear. I hate to slam Blake like this, because he is doing the best he can, but I really hope he solves the problems he's having because I'm not wanting to shop there anymore.

Jacob
JMK PCBs *New Website*

DuctTapeRiot

Hi Jacob,

I agree regarding shipping to Canada, I just got absolutly roasted by @%$@#%$ UPS on my latest order with their "Brokerage Fees". My order came to $180 and the UPS fees were $65, and this is on top of the $24 shipping charge.  I blasted the UPS guy and he stated that UPS charges these fees because "We have to prepare the package for customs", which is %#$% insane because all they are doing is putting the damn green sticker on the package.  I do not understand how it is possible that it only costs $24 to ship the package all the way here but $60 to prepare for customs.  My ass. In the future make sure you do not ever use UPS, USPS while it may cost a few more $ up front coordinates with Canada Post and does not charge any of those crazy fees.  But this would be true for any vendor that offers shipping to Canada via UPS.

Also while some things are more expensive at Mommoth, others are cheaper, eg 3pDTs are $3.50 @ mammoth and $8.50 at SmallBear.  I have also had SmallBear make mistakes in my orders, but the key thing is that both places have been fantastic at fixing any mistakes. I like both for different things.

Honestly, as a Canadian I am stating to move as much of my purchasing as I can to Mouser as they have a Canadian distribution center and so shipping is WAY cheaper all around as it is all in country.

jkokura

This is the rule: if you are in Canada, NEVER EVER let anyone use UPS to ship you stuff. That's just the rule. I've gotten roasted myself on some purchases in the past.

My last batch of 3PDT's were 2.50 each off ebay including shipping to Canada. Came from the US.

I think Mouser has a 20 dollar minimum shipping charge, but I remember that my last order from them was at my door, coming from Texas, in less than 24 hours. I think I ordered before 2PM on a Monday and it was at my door by noon on Tuesday. Surprised the heck out of me.

I've really moved a lot of my ordering to a variety of locations, a lot of which is through ebay now. I get small orders from Smallbear for specialty parts. My enclosures always come from Pedal Parts Plus (best in the biz I say). As I've mentioned here and elsewhere, I got my last bypass switches from ebay as well as a massive order of 4000 resistors for 40 bucks. Thaishine and tayda on ebay are always fabulous because they have great deals on some caps and other little bits and pieces and have free shipping on it all. Took less time for their stuff coming from Asia to get to me than the stuff from Mammoth. I went with Mammoth for pots this time, and while I may put an order in with Chris for the group buy, but I may try Tayda next for pots. One thing I'm thrown by is that their pots aren't the smooth 1/4" Alphas I'm used to and I'm not sure how my knobs will work with them.

Jacob

Jacob
JMK PCBs *New Website*

Matt Gnarly

Do any of my fellow Canucks have experience with Pedal Parts Plus? I was planning on ordering most of my parts from Small Bear, 3pdts from eBay and PPP for painted enclosures, any thoughts on this?
Cheers