News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Great Resistor Source

Started by jkokura, November 30, 2011, 03:07:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jkokura

Ever wanted to get 4000 resistors of various values in various amounts? Have you searched for that perfect 'beginners pack' of resistors and never found one with the right amount of the right value of resistors? Have you bought a pack of resistors and then found yourself wondering what on earth you were going to do with 50 6.73 Ohm resistors?

Well worry no more!

I just found a store on eBay that may help you out. I messaged them asking for a pack of 4000 resistors, in 29 specific values that I need, in amounts of 25, 50, 100, 200, and 500 depending on the value I needed. All 1/4 watt 1% metal film. They messaged me back, asking me to send them a list of the values and amounts I needed, which i sent right away also asking them if I could get them for 1 cent per resistor including shipping (40 bucks total). Not as good as my last deal of 2/3 a cent per resistor, but reasonable as it's about half price compared to smallbear or mammoth without the shipping.

The messaged me back with a listing they had made just for me, 4000 resistors in the values and amounts I wanted, 25 bucks plus 15 shipping. They're coming from China, they'll be shipped soon.

Here's the store: http://myworld.ebay.com/abillionstore

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

G.G.

so they do electrical components and vegetable & flower seeds.  Finally a place on the web my wife and I can both shop!!  :D

Sounds like a good deal on the resistors, thanks for the tip!

gtr2

Let us know how they are when you get them.  :)

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

TNblueshawk

Wow, an a la carte kind of thing. For sure stop back in after you get them to give us the low down on the ho down.
John

jkokura

This thing checked out guys. I got my resistors yesterday, opened it up and everything was there in what seems to be the right amounts. Pretty quick because I'm in Canada and they're in China (I think). It was barely 2 weeks.

Jacob
JMK PCBs *New Website*

nzCdog

Cool store!  I see they do custom high power resistors too, could make a dummy load for my tube amp 8)

LaceSensor

have you checked out whether they are 1% MF  and not repackaged 5% CF?

People have seen this in the past with Chinese bulk.
Still, even if they are 5% CF still a nice buy

jkokura

No I haven't, but I have no reason to. They're all blue, and clearly marked. There's no reliable way to check the tolerance besides checking the value of all the resistors, and I got 4000 of them...

Jacob
JMK PCBs *New Website*

LaceSensor

Fair enough sorry it wasnt a criticism
as i said good deal regardless

some people did some burn tests, or scrape the paint off etc
you can also look with a DMM and see the value
I find this is pretty reliable in a blind test
carbon film are typically further out than metal film as youd expect. metal film are often very very close to the money value

jkokura

No worries, I didn't assume criticism, I just wanted you to know it's a bit ridiculous to try and sort through 30 different values and test 4000 resistors for what their tolerance is. I usually test them as I use them anyway, so if I have issues they'll turn up them. I don't have any way to fix the problem if there is one, I'll just have to throw them out if the tolerance is too big. Except for in some small instances, tolerance isn't why I buy Metal Film anyway, it's the lower noise floor.

I haven't worked much with Carbon Film in a long time, but I remember getting a batch of 1.5M and some 3.9M resistors a while back. I tested all of them (probably 25 resistors) and I could have slapped 1.2% tolerance on them, there was only one outside of 1% from the marked value.

I have also had a Metal Film resistor that I tested at more than 2% out, actually a whole string of them. I have some resistors that are supposed to be 490K, and all of them are more than 500K but less than 505K. Probably close to 50 resistors. That's more than 2% out.

Really, over the course of a build, tolerance really adds up anyway. Even if all your parts are 1% or 2% tolerance, you can have a 30% variance if you use 30 different resistors. Obviously 5% would be even more, but my point is that it doesn't much matter to me within the projects I'm building.

Again, I think this was a great buy. at 1 cent a resistor including shipping, it's at least a 400% savings over the smallbear/mammoth bags of 200, and in some cases I only got 25 resistors for a value.

By the way, 500 each of 1M, 100K, and 10K seems like a lot, but I've burned through at least 250 of those values over the past year and a half...

Jacob
JMK PCBs *New Website*

TNblueshawk

Jacob, when I take my next inventory (we'll see what Santa brings me  ;D) in the new year, I plan to check this site out. Off hand, could they produce values say in the range of 2M-5M'ish? I have a hard time finding those.
John

jkokura

I have no idea. I just sent a message asking if they can make a custom order for me at X dollars. They responded saying give them a list. I sent them a list, and they set up an ebay listing for me, which I promptly bought and paid for.

What I suggest is that you go look at their ebay store. Essentially, if you can find a value there you'll probably be able to include it in an order. The package they sent me had all the resistors really clearly marked and neatly packaged and all the resistors were on reel type packaging and none were in broken strips. So essentially, whether it was 25 or 500, the resistors were in one continuous strip. That indicates to me either they have MASSIVE stock or they go buy from a place that has massive stock and then they resell.

Jacob
JMK PCBs *New Website*

TNblueshawk

Thanks. If and when I do, I'll post back here too.
John

headhunter53

I ordered a pkg of 50 910K 1/4W (.99) for the DirtBag from abillionstore... received them pretty quickly considering they were coming from HK ... I measured several before choosing the 2 I wanted to use. They all seemed to be within the 1% tolerance.

BTW.... this is my 1st post although I've already built 3 of Madbean's pedals and just use this forum to glean info.

On another note I wanted to get an idea what people here have been using to clean the flux off the pcbs... now that CFCs are kinda outlawed now.
Only in America...can a pizza arrive at your door faster than an ambulance!!