News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Reverb recommendations?

Started by Jamiroking, November 29, 2011, 07:07:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigmufffuzzwizz

I didn't like the EHX holy grail pedals, at least not anything new in Guitar Center. The GGG does look good (and on 15% discount right now) if you want a one knob. The BYOC has more control, but I'd recommend doing this mod's suggested. I wrote them down if you want them.
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

jkokura

For what it's worth, sonically i like the BYOC verb better than most over the counter reverb pedals, however the lack of 'features' makes it hard to argue.

i've got a serious penchant for delay and verb here. I have, or have used:

Boss RV3 and RV5
Hardwire RV-7
EHX Cathedral
Line 6 Verbzilla

I don't own the Cathedral and am selling the Verbzilla.

Sound wise, the BYOC can replicate/replace the simple reverb found in many amps, especially the fender types. However, if you like major hall, plate, or modulated reverbs it won't do that.

I am using it currently on one board, but I am also using the RV3, RV5 and RV-7 verbs on other boards. I would sell the RV-7 and replace it with a Strymon Blue Sky if I could, but there are only so many bucks in the bank...

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

TNblueshawk

If someone isn't hell bent on building their own, I'm always seeing BYOC pedals for sale at BYOC so you could do a WTB thread. I also see populated boards that someone has not wired and boxed you can snag here and there....just as another option if you are looking at BYOC verb. In fact, I think 2 dudes had some stuff up for sale this week. I'll take a peek to see if one was the Reverb and if so I'll post back.
John

lloyd17

there is definitely a hole in what's available to the DIY community centered around reverb and ring mod. I'll likely pick up a used HOF after holidays. I don't see any upcoming DIY reverbs being that feature rich.

juansolo

Quote from: bigmufffuzzwizz on December 05, 2011, 04:02:04 PM
I like my BYOC reverb, it does sound good and the tone knob is a nice addition. I still need to do the "less reverb" mod, the way it is it really takes over on almost any setting.

You need to replace a the 33k resistor in the bottom right of the below picture with a trimmer. The cap next to it is mounted underneath so you can adjust the trim pot. It'll allow you to pull back the reverb to something more sensible. Well worth it as it is too much as standard.

Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

Jamiroking

Wow thanks for all the suggestions guys.

These boards are waaaay bigger than I was expecting though.

I was looking for a reverb board that I could fit in one enclosure along with an RC booster type circuit but these things all look way too big or complex to to be to fit both of them in a BB sized enclosure though. I have someone who loves the RC booster and is currently using a tc electronics reverb but he really just wants one box to plug into. He's a straight ahead jazz guy so he really doesn't care about all the extra options that the FV-1 projects seem to be about.

Basically, he wants the punch from the RC booster and just a simple hall reverb in one box. I'm beginning to think it may not be possible to make this bare bones 2 in 1 box

jkokura

It may be...

Smallbear is now carrying a new Belton Block that may be 1590B sized. I just ordered one, when it gets here I'm going to breadboard the circuit. I'm hoping to develop it as something I can sell as a pedal, but my hope was to also develop a barebones easy 125B/1590B sized pedal for this community.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

sgmezei

Thats awesome Jacob! I am looking forward to that. I saw the new Belton bricks on SB but am afraid it is beyond my knowledge to create a circuit around them.