News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

What's up with Ebay???

Started by lars, August 21, 2020, 10:12:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lars

I've been noticing weird behavior with Ebay over the last month or so. I have a browser with Ad blockers and my cache gets cleared automatically, etc, etc, so I know it's not something with my browser/computer (and no, I do not use Winblows either so it's not a virus).
Every time I go to log in, it challenges my credentials. But a lot of times it briefly flashes to a "redirection" address and screen. I was never able to catch what it actually says since it's so fast, but today it froze on the redirection screen long enough to capture the address and the "website" that flashes up...and it's very alarming.
Here's the web address:
https://goodsbuy.by/redirect/cpa/o/qcqnfpb2u8wv5lo01rdsacrcx0qjkchs/ (doesn't seem legit at all)
And here's the brief message on the webpage:
К сожалению данный материал обрабатывается, попробуйте позднее.
WHAT! :o
Loosely translated that says:  "Unfortunately, this material is being processed, please try later"
Did Ebay get hacked or did they sell controlling interest in the company to Russia? Either way, I don't feel comfortable having any information on their site anymore.
Just for further weirdness, "goodsbuy.by" is a legit website, but if you go there it's that typical sketchy-looking Chinese market type of site that redirects you a bunch of times as it loads and eventually opens "Backit.me", which is part of AliExpress.

mjg

I'm pretty sure eBay has an email address for scam type stuff, hit them up and see what they say?

Things you could try in the meanwhile... if you have a smart phone, try that and see if the behaviour is the same. Try it on your wifi vs phone network, see if it differs.  Try a different browser on your computer?  Even with non windows, ad blockers, etc, there are still ways to do crazy stuff to your browser.  I'm not going to speculate as I don't think it would help, but yes, it's worth being concerned with behaviour like that. 

Maybe also try a search to see if anyone else is experiencing this sort of thing. 

It may even be happening at the level of your ISP.

I've just tried the eBay login page in Australia, I don't have any of that redirect behaviour happening. 

gordo

I believe ebay was sold to the folks that run a number of auction sites with Kajiji being one of them so it could be a transitional thing.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

aj_chicago

This is the only thread ANYWHERE that discusses what I see happening so I am replying to an old thread for some info. I see the same redirect to "goodsbuy.by" domain with the message "К сожалению данный материал обрабатывается, попробуйте позднее." which I assume is Russian. This only happens when using Firefox browser with addons activated. I am curious, Lars, what addons you are using inside Firefox. I have a suspicion the problem is with one of the ad blockers. I have Ad Block Plus, Ghostery, and Incognito Adblocker, and Google Analytics Blocker all going. No particular reason, but was just trying them out wondering if they would all run together and if they blocked the same things. The answer is they can all run together, but they don't all block the same things. Wondering if you have any of these ad blocker addons installed. I can use other browsers without a problem. It only happens with Firefox. What's really weird it that it always happens when opening an eBay item url from within Mozilla Thunderbird email and usually only the first time for the day or in a few hours, then after it happens once it doesn't happen again for hours. Werid. It's always a redirect to "goodsbuy.by" with that Russian message and the Firefox tab icon is a red dot with a lower case "e" in it. Weird. Let me know. Maybe we can get to the bottom with trial and error on the addons.

PapaKev

Quote from: aj_chicago on December 29, 2020, 04:39:10 AM
This is the only thread ANYWHERE that discusses what I see happening so I am replying to an old thread for some info. I see the same redirect to "goodsbuy.by" domain with the message "К сожалению данный материал обрабатывается, попробуйте позднее." which I assume is Russian. This only happens when using Firefox browser with addons activated. I am curious, Lars, what addons you are using inside Firefox. I have a suspicion the problem is with one of the ad blockers. I have Ad Block Plus, Ghostery, and Incognito Adblocker, and Google Analytics Blocker all going. No particular reason, but was just trying them out wondering if they would all run together and if they blocked the same things. The answer is they can all run together, but they don't all block the same things. Wondering if you have any of these ad blocker addons installed. I can use other browsers without a problem. It only happens with Firefox. What's really weird it that it always happens when opening an eBay item url from within Mozilla Thunderbird email and usually only the first time for the day or in a few hours, then after it happens once it doesn't happen again for hours. Werid. It's always a redirect to "goodsbuy.by" with that Russian message and the Firefox tab icon is a red dot with a lower case "e" in it. Weird. Let me know. Maybe we can get to the bottom with trial and error on the addons.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Member-To-Member-Support/Getting-redirect-to-https-goodsbuy-by-redirect-cpa-o/qaq-p/31447785/comment-id/2971463

lars

Quote from: HootyHoo on December 29, 2020, 06:32:35 AM
https://community.ebay.com/t5/Member-To-Member-Support/Getting-redirect-to-https-goodsbuy-by-redirect-cpa-o/qaq-p/31447785/comment-id/2971463

An answer on an Ebay-run forum is hardly going to implicate that something is actually messed up with Ebay. "It's your computer" is what they will always say. Yep, my locked-down Linux machine has Windows malware.

And yes, I am running the latest version of Firefox and have the Incognito Adblocker running. I like the Incognito app since it's the only one that seems to actually block a lot of garbage and those stupid auto-play videos that tons of sites have.
I guess Ebay punishes Incognito users by trying to dump them into some russian hacker alternate universe? I just hit the back button and everything seems fine after that.

matmosphere

Make sure to empty your browser cache frequently as well. It might be an issue with eBay or maybe something you picked up elsewhere, but in the end, when you start getting messages like that it is likely that your browser picked up some little tracking crap that you should probably get rid of.

lars

Quote from: Matmosphere on December 29, 2020, 09:04:17 AM
Make sure to empty your browser cache frequently as well.
My entire browser cache, history, and everything is dumped automatically every time I close the program. It's actually the opposite of what people expect. Ebay only works correctly when you LET THEM track everything you do and save your passwords and browser history and what you had for breakfast. When you come in clean with a powerful Ad blocker running, that's when it craps outs and starts throwing russian messages at you.
I really like the way they've recently tried to distance themselves from PayPal, and as a "service" to you they want direct bank account access and your Social Security number.
Not a chance!!!

aj_chicago

Quote from: lars on December 29, 2020, 06:40:57 AM
Quote from: HootyHoo on December 29, 2020, 06:32:35 AM

An answer on an Ebay-run forum is hardly going to implicate that something is actually messed up with Ebay. "It's your computer" is what they will always say. Yep, my locked-down Linux machine has Windows malware.

And yes, I am running the latest version of Firefox and have the Incognito Adblocker running. I like the Incognito app since it's the only one that seems to actually block a lot of garbage and those stupid auto-play videos that tons of sites have.
I guess Ebay punishes Incognito users by trying to dump them into some russian hacker alternate universe? I just hit the back button and everything seems fine after that.

I have Incognito Adblocker off (all day today) and my problem went away. For months it was consistently redirecting me every 1st time of the day, and every few hours. Now things are normal. I like Incognito, too. Dang!

matmosphere

I haven't used eBay in a couple years. Had no idea it was getting to be like that. Kind of sucks, it used to be great, but even 5-6 years ago it had already gone down hill so much I couldn't stand it.

diablochris6

The last time I used eBay, I didn't have much of a problem with it, but I use it so infrequently, I can't tell when things are great or not. I bought a Fernandes Sustainer pickup set from Japan, and everything went well.
Build guides of my original designs and modifications here

davent

Quote from: Matmosphere on December 30, 2020, 09:11:53 AM
I haven't used eBay in a couple years. Had no idea it was getting to be like that. Kind of sucks, it used to be great, but even 5-6 years ago it had already gone down hill so much I couldn't stand it.

It's been many years now. Being in Canada they had a comparably very low threshold that if you reached that dollar amount in purchases, even over a period years, you couldn't make any more purchases until you surrendered all your bank info and other info i wasn't going to give them. Had fun while it lasted.
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

lars

Yet another strange new development on Ebay:  today I received an offer from a seller for an item that I barely looked at for maybe two seconds. So now they're giving certain sellers the ability to track someone who simply views or accidentally clicks on their items?? You don't even have to save it in your watch list or anything!
Please, grab a beer out of my fridge while you're at it! Help yourself to my credit cards as well...

pickdropper

They've been doing that for a while.  Did you get the offer directly from the seller or from eBay itself?  I think when I've gotten these, it's been through eBay.  It's possible that's changed.

They definitely track everything you click on.  I get offers everyday for items eBay believes is similar to what I've browsed, even if it's not in my watch list.  And I don't even buy that often on eBay.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper