News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

First completed build! Pepper Spray

Started by Bret608, November 28, 2011, 03:25:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bret608

Hi everybody,

I just completed my first pedal build ever, and I'm happy to say it was a Madbean project! I went for the Pepper Spray as I've been intrigued by the Percolator for some time. I like some of the tones Albini had on those old Big Black recordings, but I'd heard this pedal is useful for other things too. It really is--like the guy from Montgomery Appliances mentioned over at ILF, it's almost like a Fuzz Face but with more muscle and a different character.

Is there a tutorial somewhere on this forum on how to post photos? I feel like I saw this but can't find it now. If anyone is interested, that is. I have to admit I'm not in love with how everything went down with my wiring, and in fact I'm surprised this thing fired up on the first try...my two daughters kept coming into the garage and playing around while I was doing the final wiring and soldering! I was kind of a wreck by the end of all their daredevil climbing on the hoods of our cars. You get the idea.

Thanks a million to all of you here who answered my various questions. This ended up being a cowboy-level build more so because my lack of prowess with ordering parts and components than anything with the build itself, and folks here steered me toward appropriate solutions in each case.

I used the Albini specs for the build, and 1n914 diodes for d4 and d5. No series or parallel, just one diode per slot. This turned out to be a pretty good choice--it's got the greater gain of the GE diodes, but the added volume and clarity of the no-diodes setting. All in all a pretty versatile pedal that lets me get the "fuzzy overdrive" (or "overfuzz"?) sound I've had in my head.

Cheers,

Bret

nzCdog

Hey Bret congrats on the first build!  Good project to tackle first... Madbean's gread pcboards and documentation make the project so much easier 8)
To add pictures:

click 'Additional Options...' when you reply this thread... then click choose file, and when you post it'll come up.  Make sure the photos aren't too big is all 640x480 pixel is the maximum size I reckon. 

gtr2

We'd love to see it.  You can use a third party host like flickr as well and post the code.  That's what I do and it doesn't take server space from this site.

My kid's like to "play" in the garage as well.  After I put the dangerous liquids away first.  ;)

Congrats on your first build of many!

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

Bret608

Thanks nzCdog and Josh! You bet, the docs made all the difference. My biggest goof was ordering an enclosure that had the DC jack on top and close to the holes for the knobs and toggle switch. Thus I was not able to PCB mount the toggle or pots per Brian's suggestion and had to wire it all in!  :-\

Okay, it sounds like posting pics is easier than I thought! I will look into flickr as well. I will set up a photo shoot this evening and make this happen.

TNblueshawk

Congrat's man on your new addiction. Good luck keeping it in check  ;D

I use Imageshack as well for my host site for pics.
John

Bret608

Okay, I finally got some pictures done and I think I have them down to a file size that will work. I'm using "additional options" to attach this time but will definitely check out one of the image posting sites if I find I'm doing this more often. Here goes!

TNblueshawk

Nice clean build. Love the mustard yellow too.
John

Bret608

Thanks man! I really appreciate it. That's the curry color from Mammoth. I'm kind of obsessed with spicy food, particularly Indian and Southeast Asian, and this is a spicy circuit, so I couldn't resist. I didn't post a picture with the LED on as it was too bright and glaring (maybe should go higher than 4.7k for the CLR next time!), but I used a green one...kind of symbolizing the cilantro that is sprinkled on top of these kinds of food most of the time! I probably shouldn't be making my builds with so many symbols built in, but it was fun...

I suppose this did turn out to be a pretty clean build for the first time, although the photos don't show up things like nearly-melted wire casing so well!  :P  Also, I don't know if it's just me, but does anyone else here feel that 24 gauge solid-core wire isn't the most photogenic? Oh well...I got it from Smallbear, and I have to say that as advertised, it did take solder extremely well.

tenwatt

For being your first build that looks REALLY solid.  I would have never thought it was your first.
Not too bright....

Bret608

Thanks so much! This is a very supportive forum, and the solutions all of you steered me to when I had questions are the main reason it turned out well. It was quite a rush when it fired up straight away...and this is after I almost hit the floor just seeing the LED come on for the first time!

I'll be excited to see some more build reports on this circuit, particularly as there were two BOMs with different specs. Is it crazy to want to turn around and build the same circuit again, mainly to refine it and try out different component values? This will be a hard addiction to keep at bay indeed...

jambforthelamb

Quote from: tenwatt on December 01, 2011, 03:25:42 PM
For being your first build that looks REALLY solid.  I would have never thought it was your first.

I second this. You don't want to see my first build(s) lol. Great job!

-jftl

TNblueshawk

You could always pop in a diffused LED. I like mine bright as the sun....don't know why though...just do. I've known some dudes to use a 10k to tame it before.
John

Bret608

Thanks jambforthelamb!

TNblueshawk, I actually like the bright LED a lot too, and my kids also went nuts over it. It kind of overwhelmed the digital camera I was using; then again I was too lazy to explore what options were in there for dealing with different lighting situations!

TNblueshawk

Quote from: Bret608 on December 01, 2011, 07:15:27 PM
Thanks jambforthelamb!

TNblueshawk, I actually like the bright LED a lot too, and my kids also went nuts over it. It kind of overwhelmed the digital camera I was using; then again I was too lazy to explore what options were in there for dealing with different lighting situations!

Well somewhere over the next 30 pedals you will now build you'll find one...hee...hee... :D
John

bigmufffuzzwizz

Looks great, and how much you love the sound of it makes me want to put mine together!! I agree with the others, fabulous job especially for your first build!! Welcome and keep em coming!
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals