News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Best Photoresistor (LDR) Specs for GlassHole and other Optical Phasers

Started by danfrank, July 13, 2020, 04:33:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

danfrank

Hi everyone. I have several phaser (or is it phasor) projects I am in the process of building and have questions on which LDR characteristics to look for. I have:
Waitrony KE-10720 and
GL5528
To choose from.
I just finished matching up the 9203s and noticed that when the LED turns off, the LDR takes a while for the resistance to stabilize.
I guess my main question is, what is better in this application? A LDR that changes resistance fast or one that lags  before resistance stabilizes? I know that all LDRs have lag but some lag more than others...
Thanks.

gordo

I went with the 9203's on mine.  I had listened to the demos, since it had been decades past that I'd played an original and it sounded about the same as I remembered.  When I built mine it was far less swoopy swishy phaser sounding than I expected.  In my case this turned out to be an unexpected bonus.  It's far less mid-rangey and a lot more "greasy" sounding (I don't know how else to describe it), in a uni-vibe sort of way.  It sounds much darker.  I might be able to coax different sounds if I fiddle with the trimmers but to be honest it sounds so friggin good that I don't want to touch it.  Boxed it, put knobs on it and it will like do dual duty as a vibe and a phaser depending on stages switch setting.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

danfrank

Thanks for the reply. Mine sounds good but I need to readjust some because I'm getting the "double tap" at the end of the sweep. I think I need to dim the LED some.
In all these modulation effects, a scope is the way to go with calibration. It makes it so much easier and precise. I have a scope coming in at the end of the week, so hooray for me. Lol!
By the way, I ended up using the 9203s also.

gordo

In my case I never put it on the scope and I'd be the last one to dismiss tecnology (insert Trump comment here). I think I inadvertently found a sound I've been looking for. The diy credo...
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?