News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

2 Circuits in a box, 1 master on/off and A/B switch ???

Started by PedalFreakFx, May 26, 2020, 01:58:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PedalFreakFx

Maybe I'm not using the right words when I search, but I'm trying to figure out how to do this.

I'd like to take two overdrive circuits and put them in one box. Have a master on/off foot switch and then an A/B switch to go between the two drives. Basically so I can have different gain levels and tones set.

Does anyone have a wiring layout for this?

Thanks in advance!

Willybomb

The bypass switch:
lug 2 - input jack
lug 5 - output jack
lug 3 wired to lug 6
lug 1 switcher lug 2
lug 2 switcher lug 5
lug 8 ground
lug 7 led

Effect switcher: lugs 1 and 4 go to the in/out on effect 1
Effect switcher: lugs 3 and 6 go to the in/out on effect 2
Effect switcher: lug 8 to ground, lug 7 for effect 1 led, lug 9 for effect 2 led.

jimilee

Quote from: Willybomb on May 26, 2020, 03:45:45 AM
The bypass switch:
lug 2 - input jack
lug 5 - output jack
lug 3 wired to lug 6
lug 1 switcher lug 2
lug 2 switcher lug 5
lug 8 ground
lug 7 led

Effect switcher: lug 8 to ground, lug 7 for effect 1 led, lug 9 for effect 2 led.
Daaaam imma have to try this just because of your answer.  Well done sir.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

PedalFreakFx

The bypass switch:
lug 2 - input jack
lug 5 - output jack
lug 3 wired to lug 6
lug 1 switcher lug 2
lug 2 switcher lug 5
lug 8 ground
lug 7 led

Awesome!

Thank you so much!

PedalFreakFx

The bypass switch:
lug 2 - input jack
lug 5 - output jack
lug 3 wired to lug 6
lug 1 switcher lug 2
lug 2 switcher lug 5
lug 8 ground
lug 7 led

Just cause I'm a visual person, do I have this laid out correctly?  Thanks again!

Willybomb

Not quite.  This doesn't follow the lugs I mentioned in the original post, but it works the same way.  Sorry about the mess, I just bashed it out quickly when I saw your question.

I've also attached a pedal gutshot (Gunslinger) with this same wiring, although it doesn't have a bicolour led, it just turns red when the high gain channel is selected.

Willybomb

Quote from: jimilee on May 26, 2020, 11:52:51 AM

Thanks Jimi, that means a lot coming from you, tbh.  For further reference I used this wiring in my Gunslinger and Hellboy builds, and a few variations on it (using rotaries and toggle switches) in my Leviathan build.

jimilee

Quote from: Willybomb on May 27, 2020, 12:54:09 PM
Quote from: jimilee on May 26, 2020, 11:52:51 AM

Thanks Jimi, that means a lot coming from you, tbh.  For further reference I used this wiring in my Gunslinger build, and a few variations on it (using rotaries and toggle switches) in my Leviathan build.
I'm just a guy. Thanks for the diagram.  I built a multi with 4 effects and flipper switches for each. I could reverse the order of the whole pedal. I'm pretty sure I couldn't do it again to save my life. :)

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

WormBoy

Just as an aside to Willy's drawing: the bypass switch can just be any regular bypass wiring. Willy drew one option that works, but you can also use the one that grounds the effects input when bypassed (as is used in the Madbean build docs). You can also go wild with relay or optical for the bypass. For the effect switch, I don't know of a 3PDT wiring scheme in which the unused circuit would be grounded (I think it is impossible). So 'anti-pop resistors' at the circuit's input will probably be needed.

Further, this is assuming you're aiming for true bypass. If you want to go buffered bypass, there is the option to get away with two DPDT switches ...

Willybomb

You could probably ground the effect1 in (lug 1) to the effect 2 LED ground switch lug (lug 9) and the effect2 in (lug 3) to the effect 1 LED (lug 7), but I haven't tried that.  No real reason why it wouldn't work though.

WormBoy

Quote from: Willybomb on May 27, 2020, 02:24:58 PM
You could probably ground the effect1 in (lug 1) to the effect 2 LED ground switch lug (lug 9) and the effect2 in (lug 3) to the effect 1 LED (lug 7), but I haven't tried that.  No real reason why it wouldn't work though.
Hmm, but you'd be putting DC (through the LED) on the input of the active circuit (and the output of your guitar or the previous pedal in the chain). Not sure if that's a good idea.

PedalFreakFx

Quote from: Willybomb on May 27, 2020, 12:50:47 PM
Not quite.  This doesn't follow the lugs I mentioned in the original post, but it works the same way. 

Thanks.  I may be missing something, do you not count the lugs like this the photo attached?  Just to confirm, the way I drew it out will NOT work, correct?

Thanks for the info, just a very casual builder that builds 1 or 2 pedals every 10 years when the urge hits me  ;D

jimilee

That's exactly how you count the lugs, yes.

Willybomb

Quote from: PedalFreakFx on May 29, 2020, 07:55:09 PM
Quote from: Willybomb on May 27, 2020, 12:50:47 PM
Not quite.  This doesn't follow the lugs I mentioned in the original post, but it works the same way. 
Just to confirm, the way I drew it out will NOT work, correct?

Thanks for the info, just a very casual builder that builds 1 or 2 pedals every 10 years when the urge hits me  ;D

Correct.  Follow my diagram.  As mentioned above, use the bypass wiring of your choice on the bypass switch.