News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

NAD - No! Not solid state!

Started by lars, May 05, 2020, 09:19:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lars

Yep. It's one of these. A Yamaha G100ii 212.

Let's start out with the good:
1) Clean headroom. This has a massive amount of clean headroom on channel A. I think 4-5 on the volume dial is about all you would need in a typical band situation. These things are LOUD.
2) These are one of the amps that Paul Rivera actually worked on designing. It seems there are a slew of Fender amps out there that people always market as "Paul Rivera designed", but it's not true...(red knobs, anybody?) There is a YouTube video of Paul Rivera himself sitting next to this exact model amp and talking about the features he helped design. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyBMvjxII-8
3) Full-size spring reverb tank. The reverb on these sounds great.
4) Parametric post-EQ. This really helps you dial in your sound so you don't get lost in the mix. You can hone into one of those critical midrange frequencies and give it up to a pretty hefty boost to cut through.
5) Easy to work on. The PCBs are fairly modular, so there isn't just one huge PCB that is a bear to take out. If you just want to mod Channel A, then you just take out the Channel A preamp board. Piece of cake.
6) Reliable. This a well-made piece of 70's Japanese solid state gear. The stuff just doesn't break.

The bad:
1) Thick MDF construction, including the baffle, so this thing is an absolute boat anchor. Heaviest 2x12 combo I've ever lifted (there's a reason that stock casters are included - you want them).
2) Especially the High input can produce that "solid-state" sound that can get fatiguing to your ears after a while. That can be fixed by just using the Low input, but both inputs should be modded with different resistor values. They're just way too bright in my opinion, and this amp has "Pull Bright" treble controls! What on earth for?
3) Even though it's a channel-switching amp, channel B is really more of a mediocre overdrive than any kind of distortion. If you don't care about that, then it's not a problem. But for many, that was a deal-breaker. They were expecting a Marshall lead crunch on channel B, and all you get is somewhat gritty overdrive that doesn't sound that great when you turn up the gain past 6. You can dial in a nice boost to play off of Channel A, and I think that's all that was really intended. If you want heavy distortion, run a Big Muff into it.

Overall, I'm pretty impressed with the tone of this amp. Especially if you're looking for an inexpensive way to get loud, there is hardly anything on the market, new or used that can compete in this price point. People regularly find G100ii heads for around $100. These 2x12 combos can be regularly found for less than $250.

gordo

These are cool amps.  I had the original G100 412.  Heavy as a tank but LOUD.  The distortion was dismal but the clean sound was fabulous.  Took pedals very well, and while not as flexible as yours, it served me well for years.  Distortion on yours is a big improvement.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

danfrank

Hey, that looks familiar! I was gifted one several years ago with a bad output section and one of the speakers blown, so I gutted it. It's one of my many projects, I'll finish it one day... I plan on turning it into a 5F6A Bassman but (obviously) with 2x12 speakers. And  yes, this thing is heavy! I have a couple of Celestion neo speakers to make it a bit lighter. The original speakers that came in this Yamaha are nice sounding, it's unfortunate that one of them blew.