News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Quadrafuzz (Anderton)

Started by gordo, May 02, 2020, 10:19:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gordo

It's a bit of design exercise for me but I'm dropping the original Anderton Quadrafuzz into Eagle to see what kind of layout options I can come up with.  I built the Blue Monster and never really warmed up to it and may have a similar response to this thing, but like I say, just flexing my layout skills here.  Or lack of them.

Is there any reason not to replace the RC4136?  I mean, there's an Anderton legacy and since I started with EPFM in the first place is there a sonic difference not to move over to a more modern op amp?

Im kinda having fun just doing the schematic portion of this using the PAIA schematic so it's a nice mind workout.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

alanp

The 4136 has a... unique... pinout, so you might want to design for a more standard TL074 pinout. Depends whether you want lo-fi or not (the 4136 is basically four 741 opamps.)
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

davent

Shocked to see Mouser still stocks them, i guess for all those people building Anderton circuits.
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

gordo

Yeah, maybe I'll go with the 074.  I don't recall ever thinking "gee, if only it sounded like a 741..."  That and I have ONE RC4136 and would need more.

Thanks
Gordy Power

ChainsawFuzz

The TL075 is a TL074 with a 4136 pinout. For what THAT'S worth.

The 4136 is substantially lower noise than a 741. It's not much faster, though.

If you crank it enough that the filters are clipping and not just the clippers, the opamp will affect the sound quite a bit. Below that level, the clippers themselves obscure most op-amp differences.

Good luck with it.

gordo

ChainsawFuzz coming out of the gate hot!!  Thanks for the input!  And welcome aboard.
Gordy Power

alanp

Quote from: ChainsawFuzz on May 05, 2020, 12:27:22 AM
The TL075 is a TL074 with a 4136 pinout. For what THAT'S worth.

Thanks muchly for that, Chainsaw -- I'm working on a Buchla 208 clone that has 4136 everywhere.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

davent

"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?