Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Tips For Desoldering Components

Started by FuzzMonkey, April 29, 2020, 05:49:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pickdropper

Quote from: Aentons on May 01, 2020, 03:22:32 AM
Quote from: pickdropper on April 30, 2020, 09:48:10 PM
I'm a big fan of soldering blades.  The one I have can heat all three legs of a 16mm pot at the same time.

I'll have to try one of those! Seems like you could burn a chip real quick with that thing if you are not careful. Do you use it when you are trying to reuse a part?

For me, it's more about trying to get the part cleanly off the board.  It allows me to hit multiple pads at the same time.  I generally use it more for pots and passives than anything else.  As far as burning parts, it's basically just a big soldering iron so normal dwell time rules apply.  Make sure to have plenty of solder on the blade tip and it goes faster.

For DIP ICs, it doesn't work as well as you really need to heat both sides of the IC at the same time.  For that, I still use blades, but dual blades on soldering tweezers, like this one:

I have an old Hakko desoldering gun I got from CultureJam, but I rarely use it.  I have better luck with these.  Opinions vary, so somebody else might feel exactly the opposite.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

EBK

Quote from: pickdropper on May 01, 2020, 11:43:43 AM
soldering tweezers
8)!
I must remember that those exist.  Just seeing the pic made me marginally happier in these dark times. 

I would really like to see an array of soldering blades with a shaver handle though. Lift and desolder in a single stroke!  ;D
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

pickdropper

Quote from: EBK on May 01, 2020, 12:35:56 PM
soldering tweezers
8)!
I must remember that those exist.  Just seeing the pic made me marginally happier in these dark times. 

I would really like to see an array of soldering blades with a shaver handle though. Lift and desolder in a single stroke!  ;D

Desoldering tweezers are magical.  The blades actually get the least amount of use.  I usually use the pointed tips.  Wonderful for pulling two-legged passives.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

madbean

Funny I was thinking not too long ago about trying to make a tool like the desoldering bar. I tried to kludge one together using buss wire but it failed hard.

Aentons

Quote from: EBK on May 01, 2020, 12:35:56 PM
soldering tweezers
8)!

For some reason those seem like an April fool's joke. I wonder if you could ductape a couple of irons together...

skyled

Quote from: FuzzMonkey on May 01, 2020, 03:03:18 AM
Quote from: skyled on May 01, 2020, 12:26:53 AM
I have a desoldering gun with a vacuum pump on it. The thing is magic.

Pic, please. ;)

I think it's this exact model, but I only paid like $90 on ebay. Make sure you get one that's the right voltage though! Lots of ebay ones are set up for Chinese mains power.
https://www.amazon.com/Aoyue-Contained-Desoldering-Internal-Carrying/dp/B00PGFAJWS

FuzzMonkey

QuoteI think it's this exact model, but I only paid like $90 on ebay. Make sure you get one that's the right voltage though! Lots of ebay ones are set up for Chinese mains power.

Thanks. I've seen the Hakko FR-301 but they're really pricey. Is there much maintenance/cleaning required after use?

skyled

The only maintenance required is that after enough use you gotta clean the sucked up solder bits out of that cone-shaped spring. I rarely have to use it these days, and I've only cleaned it maybe 2-3 times in ~10 years.

FuzzMonkey

Quote from: skyled on May 10, 2020, 05:41:23 AM
The only maintenance required is that after enough use you gotta clean the sucked up solder bits out of that cone-shaped spring. I rarely have to use it these days, and I've only cleaned it maybe 2-3 times in ~10 years.

I'm based in New Zealand, so will see if they make a 240-volt version.

jubal81

So, about those desoldering needles - 100% crap. Threw them away. Better off with a toothpick or dental pick.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

FuzzMonkey

Quote from: jubal81 on May 25, 2020, 06:13:09 PM
So, about those desoldering needles - 100% crap. Threw them away. Better off with a toothpick or dental pick.

Good to know.