News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Mangler a bit too bassy - can you say woof!

Started by jingyjangy, April 18, 2020, 04:56:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jingyjangy

Just completed my first Mangler build - Q1 2N404 Hfe 57 biased @ .51v (used suggested 33K for R2, Q2 AC125 Hfe 105 biased @ 4.4v (used 2.2K for R4). R1 feedback resistor 82K for a little smoother breakup. I put C1 on a dpdt on-on switch to go from standard 2.2uf cap to a 22uf to effect an EQ shift. It sounds really good but even with standard 2.2uf cap it still sounds a bit woofie. I have built several more straight up FF circuits and the EQ switch had a greater impact on the overall tone.
Any suggestions on how to open up the tone (tighten up the bass) a bit more on this circuit?

madbean

Go down on the input cap instead of up. 100n or below will give you the tighter bass option.

jingyjangy

Thanks Brian for pointing out what should have been obvious to me, Doooh! That's what I get for working on too many circuits at once.  :o
I ended up with 2 Greenies on a DPDT on-on switch - a .22uf for fairly close to neutral EQ and .47uf for a fatter/fuller tone which works well with single coils ala Strat/Tele. I voiced using a 335 copy with Lindy Fralin P92's.
Thanks again for responding to me for this. If you get the time please give me a little insight on my Harbinger One post.

Dazed and Confused