News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

I’ll take a Bottle of your finest Klein please!

Started by jimilee, February 29, 2020, 07:52:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimilee

Quote from: dawson on March 01, 2020, 03:38:10 AM
Quote from: jimilee on March 01, 2020, 03:12:40 AM

I played in bands for a goos portion of my 39 years. I have patch cables,
maybe too many.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

^Nice!  Judging from the demo I watched, it takes around 45-50lbs to get started with the Klein Bottle.

Have any of your bands past/present got any tunes I can check out?
I might, I'll have a look to see if I can find anything.

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

dawson

Quote from: jimilee on March 01, 2020, 02:15:28 PM

^Awesome, thanks- I like the sounds of the circuits you build, so I'll probably also dig your jigs.

Quote from: MTK on March 01, 2020, 10:12:32 AM
... :o  That's insane. Great job on all that work. This has the most anything I've seen in a single pedal.

^I've been thinking about the Klein Bottle since jimilee posted this build yesterday, trying to describe its function in one simple sentence, and the best I can do is, "The Klein Bottle is a guitar pedal that is used as a back-bone to build a BIGGER pedal out of OTHER pedals."  -But without the other pedals, it can't do anything at all, truly a unique enigma- I'm jealous of anyone who's built one.

Thanks for sharing, jimilee!
Criticism is encouraged: constructive, or otherwise.

jimilee

Quote from: dawson on March 01, 2020, 06:39:32 PM
Quote from: jimilee on March 01, 2020, 02:15:28 PM

^Awesome, thanks- I like the sounds of the circuits you build, so I'll probably also dig your jigs.

Quote from: MTK on March 01, 2020, 10:12:32 AM
... :o  That's insane. Great job on all that work. This has the most anything I've seen in a single pedal.

^I've been thinking about the Klein Bottle since jimilee posted this build yesterday, trying to describe its function in one simple sentence, and the best I can do is, "The Klein Bottle is a guitar pedal that is used as a back-bone to build a BIGGER pedal out of OTHER pedals."  -But without the other pedals, it can't do anything at all, truly a unique enigma- I'm jealous of anyone who's built one.

Thanks for sharing, jimilee!
I checked out the videos, it can add eq to a pedal, it can add. Dry mix to one that otherwise wouldn't have it and tails is a feature that everyone seems to like and running effects parallel, as opposed to serial, is a nice feature. Outside of that, you wouldn't operate it without another pedal connected.

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

EBK

I've described the Klein Bottle before this way:

"It's like a Swiss army knife pedal. You can run three pedals in parallel or series (even in a circle), filter and mix the pedals however you like (including a dry blend), turn any pedal into a momentary stomp, and probably a bunch of other stuff."
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

BrianS

So impressive.  I chickened out and paid the extra money for the pedal.  It's still in the freaking box lol. 

jimilee

Quote from: BrianS on March 01, 2020, 07:54:25 PM
So impressive.  I chickened out and paid the extra money for the pedal.  It's still in the freaking box lol.
Who was selling them? I took it slow when I was building mine. Fortunately, I fixed mu mistakes as I went. It's any easy build overall; there aren't that many parts.

Aentons

Awesome job!

For instructions and insight into what everything does, don't forget about the interactive clickable "How it works" diagram on the website. There are some extra details that are not found anywhere else when you click on different parts of the diagram. You can click on almost every part of the pedal And the diagram to see the pop up info

https://vfepedals.com/klein-bottle.html

I had wondered about why the use of smd parts as well. The only conclusion I could come to is that it has a bunch of layers and it must have been easier to do it that way, but IDK.

BrianS

Quote from: jimilee on March 01, 2020, 08:33:41 PM
Quote from: BrianS on March 01, 2020, 07:54:25 PM
Who was selling them? I took it slow when I was building mine. Fortunately, I fixed mu mistakes as I went. It's any easy build overall; there aren't that many parts.

When I bought mine Peter was selling both the kits and a completed pedal.  I think the completed one was $100 more than the full kit.  My build success rate then just didn't justify a $200 plus dollar failure. 

jimilee

Quote from: Aentons on March 02, 2020, 12:54:16 AM
Awesome job!

For instructions and insight into what everything does, don't forget about the interactive clickable "How it works" diagram on the website. There are some extra details that are not found anywhere else when you click on different parts of the diagram. You can click on almost every part of the pedal And the diagram to see the pop up info

https://vfepedals.com/klein-bottle.html

I had wondered about why the use of smd parts as well. The only conclusion I could come to is that it has a bunch of layers and it must have been easier to do it that way, but IDK.
Ok, so from what I was able to find, the op amps were hi audio quality low noise distortion  and they only come in SMD. Here is the data sheet.

http://www.ti.com/product/OPA1602

Aentons

Quote from: jimilee on March 02, 2020, 01:12:19 AM

Ok, so from what I was able to find, the op amps were hi audio quality low noise distortion  and they only come in SMD. Here is the data sheet.

Cool, thanks. That makes a lot more sense

jimilee

Quote from: Aentons on March 02, 2020, 01:22:24 AM
Quote from: jimilee on March 02, 2020, 01:12:19 AM

Cool, thanks. That makes a lot more sense
Several were asking about it, and then I began to wonder myself.

geekmacdaddy