News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Rick and Morty! A Banana Stand! A Town Drunk!

Started by jjjimi84, February 28, 2020, 03:16:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jjjimi84

I was a fuzz face nut my whole guitar playing life until I built the Dung Beetle from PedalPCB. It is a clone of a Basic Audio Scarab Deluxe which is a clone of a tone bender. It does the fuzz but with out a ton of the low end and it has the spittery thing that is so much fun. I painted barney from the Simpsons on it and since it has become so addictive I wrote my favorite Barney quote on the bottom "Hook it to my veins!".

I finished this build and painted it before I started transitioning to the different lettering style, I was hoping to have a demo of it to present but not quite yet.

Once my brother played the Barney he wanted one so I made him this...

No Rick is complete with out his Morty.

This circuit is my first attempt and a non manufactured pcb build. I bread boarded an idea and then put it together on an amazon board. It is essentially a DAM Red Rooster but with a bc108 and clipping, I like that with it I can use my guitar volume to go from clean (2) to distorted (10).

Last but certainly not least is the Bluth Banana Stand aka the MBP Stage Fright, currently my favorite Phaser and always been my favorite show.

Thewintersoldier

Solid. Great work as always. I have a stage fright board ready to build and this makes me want to make it even more
Who the hell is Bucky?

Bret608

Cool builds! And yes, the Scarab Deluxe work-alikes available in DIY land are excellent-sounding. It's so usable and actually is also one of the best OD or distortion sounds, in addition to fuzz.

dawson

Wow, those are some super rad paint jobs, stupendous portrait of Barney- you've really got an eye for color combinations!
I may be checking out a Dung Beetle in the future after reading your description too, thanks for sharing!
Criticism is encouraged: constructive, or otherwise.

jimilee

Wubba lubba dub dub!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Bio77

Those are killer.  You keep adding to my future build list, now I have to do a Dragon and a Scarab.

benny_profane

Man, those are incredible! Beautiful work inside and out.

Have you ever given 1-Shot oil paints a try, or do you stick exclusively to Testors enamel?

jjjimi84

Quote from: benny_profane on February 28, 2020, 04:52:54 PM

Have you ever given 1-Shot oil paints a try, or do you stick exclusively to Testors enamel?

I have not but am more than interested in trying out new paints. I only use Testors Acrylic for anyone who cares, I found the enamel to be great but it destroyed all of my brushes, which in hindsight was probably user error. The acrylic is easy to use and super thin, I have had to buy other acrylics to add to the red because it is more like a wash than actually paint. The upside is that it dries really fast and the down side is it dries really fast, sometimes a picture will be kinda bumpy because of a smudge or something weird.

THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH FOR THE KIND WORDS IT REALLY MEANS A LOT!!!!!!

There are plenty more to come, I have 20 ish so far painted this month and hope to keep it going. Plus I want to start showing off some of my earliest builds and the sketchy art work compared to some of the recent builds, complete 180.

benny_profane

Quote from: jjjimi84 on February 28, 2020, 05:31:13 PM

I have not but am more than interested in trying out new paints. I only use Testors Acrylic for anyone who cares, I found the enamel to be great but it destroyed all of my brushes, which in hindsight was probably user error. The acrylic is easy to use and super thin, I have had to buy other acrylics to add to the red because it is more like a wash than actually paint. The upside is that it dries really fast and the down side is it dries really fast, sometimes a picture will be kinda bumpy because of a smudge or something weird.

There are plenty more to come, I have 20 ish so far painted this month and hope to keep it going. Plus I want to start showing off some of my earliest builds and the sketchy art work compared to some of the recent builds, complete 180.

There's a bit of a learning curve with the 1-shot. It's the go-to for sign painters and pinstripers (check out videos of those wizards!). You definitely have to adapt your practice for oil and give greater care to brush maintenance. If you do go the 1-shot route, I recommend thinning the paints just a bit with a mineral spirit or synthetic replacement. Those finishes are solid as can be, though. Also, keep in mind that that stuff is very toxic and mineral spirits are, well, mineral spirits. Work in a ventilated area, use good material safety practices, and wear/use appropriate PPE. I think you'd really dig it once you get the hang of it! Another thing is that it adheres to aluminum without a tremendous amount of prep work.

gordo

Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

jjjimi84

Quote from: benny_profane on March 08, 2020, 05:38:01 PM
Quote from: jjjimi84 on February 28, 2020, 05:31:13 PM

There's a bit of a learning curve with the 1-shot. It's the go-to for sign painters and pinstripers (check out videos of those wizards!). You definitely have to adapt your practice for oil and give greater care to brush maintenance. If you do go the 1-shot route, I recommend thinning the paints just a bit with a mineral spirit or synthetic replacement. Those finishes are solid as can be, though. Also, keep in mind that that stuff is very toxic and mineral spirits are, well, mineral spirits. Work in a ventilated area, use good material safety practices, and wear/use appropriate PPE. I think you'd really dig it once you get the hang of it! Another thing is that it adheres to aluminum without a tremendous amount of prep work.

Thank you Benny, I will check that out. I am always interested in different finishing methods, I am practicing airbrushing now but am absolutely terrible at it. I am putting 1-shot at the top of the list, I can totally see this being my go to method for lettering.

This Canadian pot head has a cool video showing him using it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RK0MmLSBoY

Right guys?!?!?! If he took out the word "guys" his videos would be half as long.

benny_profane

Guys, he's a wizard. I can attest that it's not anywhere near as easy as he's making it look. Skilled hand lettering folks are so impressive. But that's not to say it's impossible. You just have to approach it strategically and not at all like you're writing with a pen.

Looking forward to hearing how it works out for you! It's a really durable finish once you get the hang of it. That guy also has good information about brush maintenance and how to thin the paints. By the way, those little pots of 1-shot go a long way.