News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Total Recall voltages and biasing Now with pictures!

Started by jimilee, January 16, 2020, 12:55:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimilee

I can get a louder fuzz sound out of my BBDs. I have replaced the 4558s and the CD4047 with the same results. Every resistor and Cap checks out, reflowed everything. Where can I start?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

jimilee

I swear the pictures were there last night.

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Scruffie

How can you possibly have ~ -15v coming from the regulator and on IC1 power supply (pin 4) and 18V & 17V on all those other chips... you've either made a mistake measuring, there's a ground problem or something has gone horribly, horribly wrong.

I suppose out of that the compander looks most wrong but the voltages are nonsensical so I wouldn't trust that.
Works at Lectric-FX

jimilee

Quote from: Scruffie on January 16, 2020, 08:34:17 PM
How can you possibly have ~ -15v coming from the regulator and on IC1 power supply (pin 4) and 18V & 17V on all those other chips... you've either made a mistake measuring, there's a ground problem or something has gone horribly, horribly wrong.

I suppose out of that the compander looks most wrong but the voltages are nonsensical so I wouldn't trust that.
Ok, remeasured my voltages. I noticed something a little off. Could a trace be bad somewhere?

Scruffie

I can't make heads or tails of it, 18V in to and out of the regulator?

For the time being I suggest taking the MN3005 out of the circuit as a precaution because if those voltages are actually right, they're 1V off terminal.

I can say that in relation to the (incorrect) supply voltage, IC5 pin 1-3 are obviously bad so there's something going on in that area, possibly a bad chip or electro (C22).
Works at Lectric-FX

jimilee

Quote from: Scruffie on January 17, 2020, 12:24:40 PM
I can't make heads or tails of it, 18V in to and out of the regulator?

For the time being I suggest taking the MN3005 out of the circuit as a precaution because if those voltages are actually right, they're 1V off terminal.

I can say that in relation to the (incorrect) supply voltage, IC5 pin 1-3 are obviously bad so there's something going on in that area, possibly a bad chip or electro (C22).
Thanks scruff. I'll have a look this evening. It's the 1 watt resistor that brings it down to 18 from 27.

Scruffie

I'm aware of how the power section on this works  ;) I meant, your previous set of voltages had it correctly outputting -15V and I was pointing out that ain't right now so something may have killed the regulator or you're measurements are getting messed up somehow.

Please put up your previous voltages again, I need to see what's changed between the two.
Works at Lectric-FX

jimilee

Quote from: Scruffie on January 17, 2020, 01:40:46 PM
I'm aware of how the power section on this works  ;) I meant, your previous set of voltages had it correctly outputting -15V and I was pointing out that ain't right now so something may have killed the regulator or you're measurements are getting messed up somehow.

Please put up your previous voltages again, I need to see what's changed between the two.
Sorry, I didn't mean to imply your didn't, it was just an observation.

jimilee

Here is where we're at after I replaced C22. Poking better, half of  IC 5 is still whacky though. I replaced it with a couple of different ICs with the same result.

jimilee

This one is trashed at this point. Solder PAFs keep coming off both sides. I'm pretty sure I'm just gonna order another one and give it a go. There are lots of screwy things happening on this one.

jimilee

I think I figured it out. As I was building the second one, I discovered I swapped the polar and non polar 2u2 caps.