News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Help ID this cap...

Started by slimtriggers, November 13, 2011, 01:53:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

slimtriggers

I think it's 47pF with a 10% tolerance, but I want to be sure before I order them. 

Thanks in advance for your help ;)

jkokura

That looks right, but you couldn't pay me to take a cap in that condition.

jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

slimtriggers

:D  Thanks.  That's one that's being replaced.  There were four of them that looked very suspicious. 

jkokura

Ah, yeah. if you're ordering to replace that, I'd go with 47R. You can always measure caps if you're curious and have a Multi Meter that does Capacitance. That's what I do.

Jacob
JMK PCBs *New Website*

slimtriggers

My DMM doesn't do capacitance.  I'm seriously considering one of the capacitance meter kits, though.

bigmufffuzzwizz

That kit is probably the only cap tester your gonna find that will measure values that small for that price. My meter doesn't really measure below 1nf very well. The kit will measure 1 pf!
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

slimtriggers

I pulled the trigger on the kit yesterday.  Looking forward to trying it out 8)

jkokura

Yeah, I think I'll be picking it up too. Probably a resistor one also. Easier than pulling out my DMM, as I don't have alligator clip leads for it and that makes checking a part VERY hard.
JMK PCBs *New Website*

gtr2

One thing on the capacitance tester kit.  The pin is a 2.5mm center positive if you're going to use an adapter.  If I remember right anything 9-12v is acceptable.

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

slimtriggers

Quote from: gtr2 on November 17, 2011, 01:43:52 PM
One thing on the capacitance tester kit.  The pin is a 2.5mm center positive if you're going to use an adapter.  If I remember right anything 9-12v is acceptable.

Josh

Thanks!  I'd be VERY surprised if I don't have a wall wart lying around that will work.  It's ridiculous how many of those things I have :D

melody_guitar

I bet its a 47 picofarad value of ceramic capacitor..

nzCdog

This Kit?
Cool... my DMM does capacitance but not particularly accurately I suspect... looks like a good buy!

slimtriggers

Quote from: nzCdog on November 21, 2011, 07:38:18 AM
This Kit?
Cool... my DMM does capacitance but not particularly accurately I suspect... looks like a good buy!

That's the one.  I found it on Ebay for a bit less $, though.  It arrived today.  I'll see if I can get it populated and fired up tomorrow 8)

slimtriggers

Well, it didn't work >:(  I get no voltage past D1, which makes me think it might be backwards on the layout ???

Maybe I goofed something up, but right now I can't recommend it. 

nzCdog

:(  Bummer! 
Ebay has a lot of comeback for the buyer tho... I'm sure if you can't get it to work the seller would make it right?