News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Warhead, vibrato loophole, wizard wah and more...

Started by JakeFuzz, November 12, 2011, 11:06:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ckim715

Maggotbrain= Screwdriver? That tone is to die for!
-Charlie

JakeFuzz

Quote from: ckim715 on December 21, 2011, 05:51:56 AM
Maggotbrain= Screwdriver? That tone is to die for!

:D Thanks, I'm glad you like it. Yeah the exact setup is a Strat with a Dimarzio Area '61 bridge position > Vox V847 modded to Wizard wah specs > Screwdriver-ish on stripboard > Carbon Copy > Twin Reverb.

I settled on a lower gain (about 50-60) CV7112 for the NPN germanium in the screwdriver. I highly recommend the Cosmo, its probably been my favorite overdrive since i've built it. You'll definitely like it.

ckim715

I'm trying to trade my sunking board for a Cosmo pcb, hopefully someone is up for the trade. For your pcb, did you use ceramic caps?
-Charlie

JakeFuzz

I am sure someone would be down. You could make it on Vero too. Actually I am sure Keefe could etch you up an awesome Cosmo PCB.

I used all silver mica caps. I don't really remember why; I think I just had all the right values on hand. I also used a NOS TI BC108C with the gold leads, I am not sure if it makes any difference though. I did swap that position out with several different high gain transistors and I didn't notice any change.

ckim715

Oh and I'm curious, what was the chord progression on that loop? Mind if I use it?  ;D
-Charlie

JakeFuzz

Quote from: ckim715 on December 21, 2011, 07:49:17 AM
Oh and I'm curious, what was the chord progression on that loop? Mind if I use it?  ;D

It is the actual Maggotbrain chord progression, don't know if it is in the right key though. I think I add and extra step in too. It goes.

C#m - B - C#m - B - G#m - A

Bret608

If you ever build a cosmo hit me up, I have these really low gain oc139's that would be perfect for a screwdriver (gain is around 45). You can just have one, I cant really figure out what to do with them other than this circuit.

Haha I guess I would kind of look like Freddy without that crazy stache, I don't know if that is a good thing though...
[/quote]

Wow, I had about settled on a Mangler for my first FF-type build, particulary after the advice you gave me on transistors. I really like the way the Screwdriver/Cosmo sounds in this clip though. Do you still have any of those OC139s available? I see Haberdasher is still making Cosmo boards as well...just doing the math here!  ;D