News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

In this topic we praise the righteous...

Started by oldschoolanalog, November 10, 2011, 06:52:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldschoolanalog

Let's all post our experiences with good, reliable folks who do high quality work.
I recently purchased 2 custom etched PCB's from Harberdasher. I am totally blown away with the quality of his etching and drilling. These are easily the best custom etched PCB's I have gotten to date (with all due respect for the other PCB folks out there). Very reasonable price, great communication and fast turnaround. I cannot say enough good things about his service.
Obviously, VERY highly recommended!
;D ;D ;D
I'm not a Diode Destroyer. I'm a BBDamned fool!

gtr2

Madbean - best PCB layouts I've used, really fair prices, and excellent documentation (maybe I'm partial  ;) )
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

TNblueshawk

On any site, or are you keeping to the Bean's and folks in this community?
John

juansolo

+1 to Haberdasher and Bean.  

Also if we're going external:  Barry at GuitarPCB, Jon at Feline guitars, Tim at BKP pickups and Martin at MJW amps. All great guys to deal with.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

nzCdog

Quote from: gtr2 on November 10, 2011, 07:04:36 PM
Madbean - best PCB layouts I've used, really fair prices, and excellent documentation (maybe I'm partial  ;) )
+1
Brian Wampler... taught me most of what I learned early on about pedal building through his easy to understand book
R.G. Keen... total wealth of info all free on his awesome site geofex.com

*edit* This is more a props to the guys who learned lots from than where I bought stuff

timbo_93631

I buy my strings from Anthill Music on eBay, they get here in a few days, are cheaper than anywhere else, and are sold with free shipping.  I use Everly B52's FWIW.  Also they include a 10% off coupon code with every order, so I am getting them for even less than advertised.  For amp parts I really love to deal with Ken Watts from Watts Tube Audio, he always gets my order 100% right.  For PCB's Keefe and Brian are the real stars in my mind as well.  I have yet to find a parts house for pedal parts that really seems to go above and beyond.  All the ones we use have little issues, but what they provide is so useful we all put up with it.
Sunday Musical Instruments LLC.
Sunday Handwound Pickups

TNblueshawk

+1 to Barry's at guitarpcb. He is a stand up dude who backs what he sells. I also have to give a shout out to BYOC in the kit world. It is my contention that many folks such as myself would never had tried this, given zero background in electronics, if it were not for the kit mentality and the idiot proof instructions that come with it. Maybe I am gutless, but no way would I have been as successful as I have been. Their parts store is new so I can't comment on it from experience really.

A personal shout out to a circuit designer dccountry13 who has helped me immensely along with his willingness to donate his time.

On that note, I'd like to give a shout out to all the moderators on this forum, as well as guitarpcb and BYOC (I'm sure many others but I spend most of my time on these three). Think about the amount of time they spend helping folks and there is not a paycheck involved here. Those dudes have day jobs, families and life smacks them in the face, like us, but they donate their willingness to help. Without them, I'm afraid anarchy might reign supreme in these communities.

Thanks fellas. I plan to drink a few beers in your honor tonight as I sand down some enclosures and populate a Bean board  ;D
John

juansolo

+1 to BYOC. Brilliant kits, friendly forum. Wouldn't be into this hobby without them.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

oldschoolanalog

Quote from: TNblueshawk on November 10, 2011, 07:31:34 PM
On any site, or are you keeping to the Bean's and folks in this community?
Any site. Good connections are worth sharing. Wherever they may be!
Keep 'em coming...

edit: Let's not forget Steve @ SmallBear. Always reliable to me and will answer all your emails & Q's. Sometimes you have to be a bit patient; but he always fixes any issues you may have w/an order.
I'm not a Diode Destroyer. I'm a BBDamned fool!

sgmezei

I have to give thanks to JD over at General Guitar Gadgets. That is the place that got me hooked. He was great and is to blame for my addiction haha. He offers PCB's and kits so if you haven't already, check him out.

And to Madbean. I actually didn't know that his site had a forum and proceeded to send him emails asking FAQ's. He was always polite and never said "go look at the damn forum!!" haha.

Also, to all the people with a positive attitude on the forums. Nothing is worse that looking for help and getting some jerk reply. This place has been the most friendly and supportive.