The many 1u film caps in Harbinger 1.5 project... is 10% tolerance good enough?

Started by tyskstil, October 04, 2019, 08:01:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyskstil

So I'm building the harbinger 1.5, and there are 13 film caps with unspecified tolerance. Most of my film caps are 5%, and so I was wondering if perhaps that was the assumed tolerance of the 1u caps. Anyways, I bought what turned out to be 10% caps, and I'm unsure if the tolerance is critical.

madbean

5 to 10% tolerance is fine for most any circuit. I have a mix of both and never give it a second thought.

tyskstil

Thanks for the fast answer! I've been refreshing your page for the last 6 months or so to buy the Harbinger, and it finally arrived today, so its very good new that I dont have to wait for another delivery of caps!

tyskstil

tyskstil

Quote from: madbean on October 04, 2019, 08:09:23 PM
5 to 10% tolerance is fine for most any circuit. I have a mix of both and never give it a second thought.
Anothher question: The build doc gives some instructions on which components to leave in / out when using either a 9V or 19V power supply. Can I just sodder everything in, but only put power in one of the two channels, say the 18V, so that it's easier for me if I change my mind and want to switch to 9V at a later stage?

Also: C33 is missing in the BOM, though its in the schematic.

madbean

You cannot hot swap the PSU with this design. You could solder in everything but D3 for first testing 18v PSU then later on install D3 and try a 9v.
There should not be any appreciable difference between either power scheme.

Thanks, someone had already mentioned C33. I will get that corrected.