News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Remove burrs from knob inner shaft

Started by benny_profane, October 02, 2019, 03:41:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

benny_profane

I've got some knobs that have burrs around the set screw holes. What is the best way to remove these short of muscling the knob onto the pot shaft?

EBK

"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

benny_profane

Haha oh man, yeah I'll have to give that a shot. Another issue: the specs on these state inner diameter of 6.4mm (so fit for 1/4" pot shafts), however, it is rather tight. I don't think these are 6mm because they wouldn't even begin to fit, right? I suspect I might have to slightly ream these out? If that's the case, I'm not sure how best to proceed.

EBK

Use a 1/4" drill bit to ream them out by hand.  But, wrap some tape around the shaft of the bit so you don't slice up your fingers.
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

benny_profane

Quote from: EBK on October 02, 2019, 04:57:52 PM
Use a 1/4" drill bit to ream them out by hand.  But, wrap some tape around the shaft of the bit so you don't slice up your fingers.

Good call! Hopefully this'll work it out! I've got a handful of knobs with this fit problem so this could be the trick to get them all in workable order.

pickdropper

Quote from: EBK on October 02, 2019, 04:57:52 PM

This.  Better yet, get a 1/4" end mill bit.  It's flat on top and works a bit better.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

benny_profane

The drill bit worked perfectly. I just attached it to a vice, inserted the knob, turned a few times, screwed the set screw in and out, repeated the process, and cleaned it out. There was quite a lot of excess material in there.

I'll keep the mill bit in mind. I don't have one on hand, but that does look like the perfect tool for the job.

Thanks all!

alanp

"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

benny_profane