News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

In this topic, we make fun of snake oil vendors

Started by stecykmi, November 09, 2011, 01:33:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stecykmi

Post your best finds.

I just stumbled on this one while looking at Mercury Magnetics site and had a good lol: Copper-Tone

High-end pros use them... they're behind the quiet edge that some players experience with their amps

Ha, what's a "quiet edge"?

redbean

Quote from: stecykmi on November 09, 2011, 01:33:49 AM
High-end pros use them... they're behind the quiet edge that some players experience with their amps

Ha, what's a "quiet edge"?

LOL! I don't know, but they are behind it.  :D
es là-bas!!

bigmufffuzzwizz

"So it doesn't matter if your amp is 5 watts or 250 watts it will benefit."

I've heard of a Marshall Major but what tube amp runs 250 watts?!
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

stecykmi

Occasionally bass amps will run 400W or more, peavey and mesa both had an offering. I think Hiwatt built a few 400W amps back in the day too. 400W is like 6 KT88's or 10-12 EL34's.

juansolo

The maketing fluff on a Les Lius is particularly amusing:

"This handmade guitar pedal features a three way toggle switch that allows you to change tones from 5E3 Woody (Tweed Fender Deluxe), High Power Twin (50's Fender Twin) and Master Volume Tchule (combination of both the 5E3 Woody and the High Power Twin)."

It switches clipping diodes...

"The amount of gain is controlled by the first knob. The second knob is a second gain stage which emulates what happens when you crank one of these vintage low wattage amplifiers."

Second gain stage, on an effect with only one transistor...?
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

TheCobbenator

I think the description of the les Luis, compared to the schematic, is what turned me off from building it.  Seemed like they were trying too hard to sell it.  That's how every pedal ever is, it seems. Only a matter of time before Fuller and the like start making commercials that start "in a world..."

shawnee

Mercury Magnetics- I think they make the best stuff out there for sure. The problem is, it's double the price and you are not getting double the sonic quality. Their transformers are great but Heyboer is half the price and I seriously doubt anyone will hear the difference. My favorite of theirs is the $300 transformer upgrade kit for a $125 epiphone valve jr 5 watt amp. Are you kidding me?

thatirishsob

Quote from: shawnee on November 09, 2011, 12:08:01 PM
Mercury Magnetics- I think they make the best stuff out there for sure. The problem is, it's double the price and you are not getting double the sonic quality. Their transformers are great but Heyboer is half the price and I seriously doubt anyone will hear the difference. My favorite of theirs is the $300 transformer upgrade kit for a $125 epiphone valve jr 5 watt amp. Are you kidding me?

When I first started looking into modding my Valve Jr. I was pointed towards the Mercury upgrade, then I saw the price. so I went with a Hammond transformer and prob couldn't be happier, would the Mercury sound better? Probably but there is no way it makes enough of an improvement to justify the price for me.

diagrammatiks

Quote from: shawnee on November 09, 2011, 12:08:01 PM

not even...

edcor beats out mm at less then half the price.

at the same price onetics completely destroys mm.

shawnee

Really? I'll have to check into to Edcor. You like them better than Heyboer?

Micpoc

I very rarely post on this forum - I'm usually too dazzled by the extraordinary work on display to form a coherent thought - but I just have to share this for those who are unaware of P.W.B. Electronics, makers of fine quantum products to improve your home high fidelity audio playback systems:

http://www.belt.demon.co.uk/product/quantum/quantum.html

Game... and match.  :P

JakeFuzz

Quote from: Grigori on November 12, 2011, 05:44:00 PM
I very rarely post on this forum - I'm usually too dazzled by the extraordinary work on display to form a coherent thought - but I just have to share this for those who are unaware of P.W.B. Electronics, makers of fine quantum products to improve your home high fidelity audio playback systems:

Game... and match.  :P

OMG! that is hilarious. That must be a joke. Sounds like they wrote that product description on hallucinogenic drugs.  

Edit: haha if you go to their product index they have a "special one drop liquid"... I think they've taken a a few drops too many...

dwstanford

Game... and match.  :P

£500?  That sounds reasonable.

I can just picture the inception of this idea now:

Guy 1- Hey man, what are we gonna do with all these roach clips?

Guy 2- Just throw them away.

Guy 1-  Fuck that, dude.  I got an idea.

redbean

Game... and match.  :P

Wow! Check out this pseudoscience gobbledygook from your link:

(snip)

"We have, for a number of years, attempted to alert people working within science to the inadequacies contained within their knowledge. We have emphasised, on many occasions, that the natural world is controlled by established morphic resonance patterns and that all life forms have had a controlled evolutionary progression which was strictly governed by constantly evolving morphic resonance patterns. Virtually all 'modern' science, particularly biology and medicine is still dominated by 19th century science - the late 20th century quantum world has so far intruded very little."

(snip)

I must alert my physics professors tomorrow!  :o

They must obtain "The P.W.B. Quantum Clip" as soon as possible!!

LOLOL!!  :D

PS Screw you Hippocrates!  ;D
es là-bas!!