News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Dual gang pots

Started by TNblueshawk, November 08, 2011, 08:42:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TNblueshawk

Ok, kind of embarrassed to ask this but here goes. Won't be the first time I asked something stupid I guess....nor the last.

First the disclaimer. I've never used a dual gang pot.

Now, on the build doc's for the Sunking it lists this pot twice, so I was thinking I needed two of them...turns out I guess I don't which is of course AFTER I drilled 4 holes  :P Anyhoooooo, in looking at folks builds I only see 3 knobs.

So, I assume I take the top row of lugs on one pot and wire into Gain 1 and then take the bottom row of lugs on the same pot and wire into Gain 2. Correct?

We need an embarrassed smiley here on the forum even if it is just for me  ;)
John

gtr2

Yup, you've figured it out.  ;)
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

TNblueshawk

Quote from: gtr2 on November 08, 2011, 09:06:27 PM
Yup, you've figured it out.  ;)

Thanks g2, and yeah one hole too late  :D

A smart man would have figured this out before he whipped out the unibit !
John

gtr2

Can you fit a diode selection switch in the hole?  There's always a solution!
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

jkokura

yeah, using a switch for going between diodes is actually useful on the Sunking. I usually stick with Ge, but having some LED's or Mosfets, or even trying an assymetrical setup would be something most people would use.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

bigmufffuzzwizz

Bummer! I was uncertain about this at first, but just went for it (dual gang and how to wire) and it worked out alright for me. I agree a diode selection toggle would be your best option, unless there's a way to fill in the hole. I've seen it done on one my buddies dad's 60's vibro-verb.
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

TNblueshawk

You know I thought about that but then I have a 4 knob build that can fill in for that enclosure and I'll just drill another one for the Sunking. But, I'll have to chew on a diode switch. The hole might be too big for a toggle but a cool washer could take are of that I guess.

If I was to fill in the hole I'd go with JB Weld and try to smooth it out, decal over the top with Envirotex and only I would know the difference....and you guys  :o but I know you wouldn't tell anyone.
John

sgmezei

Hey blueshawk,
Just wanted to mention this other thread I started as far as switching diodes with the Sunking. It works great and all it takes is a little perfboard.
http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=2456.0

TNblueshawk

Hey sg, thanks for thinking of me on this. I'll check it out. I actually have already wired it up for another knob for more gain...because....you can never have too much gain.

Edit:  :o Damn son, that is one killer mod you did. Sheesh, wish I was that smart.
John

sgmezei

hahaha thanks man. I had help reading on the forums. It really is the same as a diode toggle switch but just substituting a rotary switch for more options.

Also, you don't need 12 different diodes. Some sound very similiar but I did want to hear them all for myself.