News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Pedal Fixation Methods

Started by Aleph Null, July 10, 2019, 11:04:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aleph Null

I know that velcro is the most common approach to fixing pedals to a board, but surely not everyone here is using that method. If you're not using velcro, what are you using and why? If you tried something and moved back to velcro what did you try and why did you go back?

Aleph Null

I recently switched from velcro to dual lock (the low-profile stuff) and am loving it so far. Once I snap a pedal into place, it doesn't move. The number of stick/unstick cycles is low compared to velcro—only 100 cycles—but I figure, even if I rebuild my board every six months and get really fussy with placement each time, dual lock should last me maybe fifteen to twenty years before I have to replace it.

somnif

The one time I used a "board" it was literal, a wooden board with a wedge on either side to give it an angle. My few pedals were afixed with "builders band" or "fixing band", a thin perforated metal strip held in place with wood screws.

It was literally made from.... "borrowed" building materials we found in a ditch. Used it twice before disassembling, but it got the job done... technically.

woolie

Quote from: Aleph Null on July 10, 2019, 11:04:28 PM
I know that velcro is the most common approach to fixing pedals to a board, but surely not everyone here is using that method. If you're not using velcro, what are you using and why? If you tried something and moved back to velcro what did you try and why did you go back?

I have, use, and like the holeyboards from: https://www.chemistrydesignwerks.com

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

matmosphere

Quote from: woolie on July 11, 2019, 01:29:18 AM
Quote from: Aleph Null on July 10, 2019, 11:04:28 PM

I have, use, and like the holeyboards from: https://www.chemistrydesignwerks.com

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I second that. Zip ties aren't the most attractive look but they work really well and they're cheap too.

alanp

A wire rack from an old refrigerator, and lots of zipties.

I've also heard of people using the figure-8 links from bicycle chain to screw pedals onto wooden boards.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

Aentons

I originally tried the Velcro that came with my pedaltrain and it was ok, but after a while it would move and come unstuck from the board when it got hot. I also had issue with getting enough of it on the bottom of certain pedals like old Boss and Ibanez that I didn't want to rip the rubber off of the bottom or mess up the vintage label.

I have low profile dual lock on there now and it's ok but Im not very happy with it either. I can use a lot less on the bottom of the pedals and it sticks to the rubber but, I don't like the way that it's either on or off and there is no in between. I think I might try something else but I'm not sure what.

I have a buddy that used the bicycle chain links for years and swore by them, but he got tired of it being so difficult to move things around and all the holes it ends up leaving in the wood, so he has recently switched to regular old Velcro.

I've entertained the idea of the zip ties but I'm not sure I like it either

So, yes, I have been looking around for something else hoping to make a switch

matmosphere

gordo

+1 on the bike chain links.  The only caveat is it's easier to use a wood pedal board or you need to drill holes in a metal one.  This works wonders for big heavy klunkers like the Line6 MM4 I use.  If you stand your board on end you won't find them in a pile on the floor in the morning.  I use velcro on the lighter pedals where it won't make as much difference.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?