News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Good buy on a scope?

Started by dropanchor812, April 12, 2019, 08:12:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dropanchor812

Found this Telequipment D54 oscilloscope locally and wondering if it would be a good buy for a beginner.  I've never had a scope, but for 30 bucks I'd think it was a decent enough deal.  Would I see a lot of limitations in using this with amp/pedal testing and whatnot?  Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bio77

Not an expert, hopefully one will post too.  I just wanted to give a point of reference, I got mine (Tektronix 2235 100 MHz ) for $150 on CL. 

I looked briefly online and this one is 10 MHz, which I think is fine for pedal work.  Does it come with the probes?  If not you might want to look into those before you commit.     

Timko

I am in the process of Scope shopping for tuning some phaser/chorus pedals that I'm working on.  I also want to go back to some of my older builds that I tuned "by ear" and run them through a scope.  So, here are the questions I have come up with in all of my research:

Bandwith - I talked with DeadEndFX about a scope that I'll need for the Mutron Biphase build that's happening this summer for me, and they suggested 100MHz.  Do I need something that powerful?  I want this to run the full gambit of pedals (including BBD delays, phasers, and tremolos).
Probes - I imagine I need 2.  Is there a reason I would need 4?
Additional features - Signal Generator perhaps?  Maybe they all do this.  Are there other features that would be handy?

This hobby of mine has become serious enough that I'd like to start fine tuning some of my builds and own creations and feel this is a minimal investment to make.  Decent new digital scopes can be had for around $400 (quite a bit more than the OP but less tabletop space than an analog).  EEVBlog is a great resource for testing equipment (it's how I decided on the multimeters I own).

EBK

A $30 scope is infinitely better than having no scope. 

My favorite scope that I've owned cost me $20 (fits in an Altoids Smalls tin and uses my phone or laptop for a display).
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

TFZ

10MHz is on the low end, but it should be fine for most audio work. Two channels, 30 bucks, I'd buy it without blinking.

EBK

Quote from: TFZ on April 12, 2019, 10:20:59 PM
10MHz is on the low end, but it should be fine for most audio work. Two channels, 30 bucks, I'd buy it without blinking.
I get along fine with a 200kHz scope (it's my other, non-$20 scope, which was still pretty cheap).
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

diablochris6

Go for it. What's one more piece of equipment around the house anyway?

And based on the picture, you need to charge your phone.
Build guides of my original designs and modifications here

TFZ

Quote from: EBK on April 12, 2019, 10:28:24 PM
Quote from: TFZ on April 12, 2019, 10:20:59 PM
I get along fine with a 200kHz scope (it's my other, non-$20 scope, which was still pretty cheap).

Sure you can, just depends what you're gonna do with it. If you want to trace an audio signal through a device, then it's fine. If you want to check a MHz clock on a digital IC, or look for RF oscillations in an amp, then you will run into its limitations.

dropanchor812

Thanks for all the input fellas!  I figured it would do for the stuff I have on my bench, and I've messaged him and waiting back to hear from him.  I'll update if I end up grabbing it. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk