News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

hi all

Started by sam_c, October 25, 2011, 09:40:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sam_c

just a quick hello as Ive joined the site and ordered some pcbs.

Just gone through the BOM's and ordered evrything so I will try to get some good results and post some finished pedals!

Ive gone for the fatpants, greenbean and egodriver - 2 of each. one for me, one for my buddy.

I built a nice little 5w valve amp kit last christmas break and I want some pedals to use with it.  Im also learning to build guitars too, but as winter gets closer that is on the backburner.

cheers!
sam - uk

irmcdermott

Welcome to the community Sam!

keysandguitars

Welcome Sam, this forum is the best...actually it's the only pedal forum I'm on.

What kind of amp kit did you get?
I should still be a "diode destroyer"!

mjcyates

Welcome! Happy building.

CK1

sgmezei

Welcome Dude. You will find this is a really friendly forum with lots of experienced builders to help you out.

And start saving, as you will be ordering more boards from the Bean shortly....

Scott

sam_c

Thanks for the welcome!  I have to say this seems like one of the better forums for this stuff. I have been reading through a few others but the madbean kits seem very concise and the support info is the best ive been able to find.  I would like to learn about simple audio electronics rather than just putting the pieces together and posting like crazy when it doesnt work. 

Quote from: keysandguitars on October 25, 2011, 11:47:41 PM
What kind of amp kit did you get?

It was an Ampmaker SE-5a kit from a guy called Barry in the UK.  I highly recommend his kits and the support he gives for his products.  The schemtaics and notes that came with the kit were also excellent.

Not sure if I can post URL's yet, but here is a demo video of it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wa4E91of2o

TNblueshawk

Welcome Sam. I'm fairly new on this one too and can attest to the friendly folks here as well.
John

Quip

Just signed up too. Been building MB projects for awhile. Always pleased with the results. Nary a problem to troubleshoot. Really like building the advanced stuff for the challenge but my favorite tones always seem to be in the simple circuits.

sam_c

woohoo!  my first boards turned up yesterday.  I'll have a go at the fatpants over the weekiend.

gtr2

Welcome Sam C!  ;D

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

sam_c

well, got my first fatpants wired up.  Its a little noisy and theres some bad joints I need to sort out but overall Im impressed!

In hindsight I should have left off the footswitch and dc jack so it would be esier to debug the pcb/pots.  I think I will build myself the testing rig next.

I have to admit I underestimated how difficult it is to judge the offboard wiring lengths/routing etc. in order to avoid a tiny rat's nest.   I havent boxed the pedal yet but I will really need to have a look at the wiring before I do.

TNblueshawk

Quote from: sam_c on November 08, 2011, 12:17:00 PM
well, got my first fatpants wired up.  Its a little noisy and theres some bad joints I need to sort out but overall Im impressed!

In hindsight I should have left off the footswitch and dc jack so it would be esier to debug the pcb/pots.  I think I will build myself the testing rig next.

I have to admit I underestimated how difficult it is to judge the offboard wiring lengths/routing etc. in order to avoid a tiny rat's nest.   I havent boxed the pedal yet but I will really need to have a look at the wiring before I do.

Experience and technique will come to you. I can't decide on what order I want to wire things and I've built 15 pedals  ::)
John

bigmufffuzzwizz

Good job on the fat pants! Awesome sounding circuit, I wanna stick mine in a 1590a.

You'll develop your own method with some time and practice. I highly recommend building a test rig, even if it is a really simple one. I only have the DC jack and In/Out jacks with alligator clips to attach to the board being tested. Has helped me so many times, with all sorts of debugs.
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

sam_c

Quote from: bigmufffuzzwizz on November 09, 2011, 04:01:07 AM
I highly recommend building a test rig, even if it is a really simple one.

Yes, that will be my next project.  Luckily the only issues with the fatpants were the stranded wires I had used to go to the pot terminals, gauge was too big.  Where I had thinned it out to go through the pcb holes, the loose strands on the otherside of the board were shorting out on each other when I moved it around.  When I box it I will replace the wire with some 22-26awg stuff and heatshrink it.   

Also marked up my enclosure last night ready to drill out, will be getting the GF to do a zvex style paint job in enamels and then give it a dusting of lacquer.  Will post pics and possibly a vid when its done!