News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Help! Grapevine not working...

Started by eldanko, July 19, 2010, 06:03:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madbean

I think I will create a tutorial on how to build a simple testing rig, too. You can do one for probably $20.

gtr2

1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

eldanko

You guys rock.  Yes, definitely going to breadboard a bit in the future.  Yes, never going to install the board in the enclosure before thorough testing.  Learning a lot so far.

Onto the techy stuff...

Doing the audio probe thang.  I do NOT have signal after the first gain stage.  The second leg of Q1 has signal, albeit a tad quieter, but the third does not.  What does this mean?
www.danekinser.com - Music, Builds, other nonsense

madbean

This is what you are looking for.

[attachment deleted by admin]

eldanko

Thanks for the illustration!  Talk about customer service... :)

Ok - I double-checked the solder joints of Q1, and now I'm getting a signal on the 3rd leg, but it's incredibly weak.  Is something wrong with the transistor?

madbean

If you have extras, I would replace Q1-Q3 and see what happens.

Where did you get your transistors from?

irmcdermott

are people posting pictures in this thread? because I can't see any of them.... weird.

eldanko

Hey guys -

Sorry it's taken me so long to get back - out of the country last week.  Ok...

Bought my transistors from Pedal Parts Plus.  I've replace Q1 and still am not getting a signal on the 3rd leg of the transistor (speaking in order of signal flow).  Should I continue replacing Q2 and Q3 or address this problem first?

jkokura

Are you sure of your pinouts on your transistors? Double check that your orientation is correct not just to the image for the layout, but to the pinout on the layout.

I have used transistors with a backwards pinout to the normal pinout - sometimes companies use opposite pinouts for trannies compared to the same models from other companies.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

eldanko

Ok.  Resurrecting this thread because I'm STILL baffled.

I've socketed the transistors for easy switches.  I've tried both orientations and still haven't gotten any signal past Q1, even after replacing Q1-Q3.  I've tried two different batches of transistors.

Thoughts, friends?   ???