News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Calibrating the Total Recall (DMM)

Started by turtle441, December 11, 2018, 12:28:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

turtle441

Running into issues calibrating my Total Recall, was hoping I could tap into the group's expertise.

At this point I've got the board populated with all IC's, minus one of the 2 BBD's. 
Power supply is wired appropriately, have -15V DC at the regulator.

My little toy digital oscilloscope is on the fritz, so I'm having to bias by ear.  I've got the old DD-20 set up as a looper, getting the appropriate audio signal at the input tip.  Same signal, plus a little high pitched whine (clock noise?) at pin 7 of the first BBD.

On pins 3 and 4, I get this clicking/buzzing, but no signal.  Doesn't change at all with movement of the bias knob.  Twisting the delay knob will alter the frequency of the clicking/buzz.  Frequency of the clicking is altered by adjusting the delay knob.   Turning delay down (CCW) increases frequency up to a buzz range, turning it up shifts frequency town towards what I'd call a fast click.  I'm unable to appreciate any of the input audio signal coming through. 

I tried swapping out BBD IC's, but got the same findings with the 2nd chip.  (I'm using the XVive reissues from MN3005 reissues, purchased through Smallbear, so hopefully fake chips isn't a thing.)

Any thoughts/recommendations?  My first guess is that this is somehow related to something wrong with clock signal, but I'm a BBD noob, so I'm mostly just talking out my backside.

madbean

The clock is the most likely culprit here, not the BBD chips.

First thing: remove IC9 and see if you have audio out of pins3&4 of the BBD. We want to eliminate the LFO as a problem source.

Next steps:
Compare your CD4047 voltages with the ones in the doc.
Double check to make sure you have used 240pF for C40. Also double check orientation of D5. And, 100k for the Delay pot, of course (not 1M by accident, etc).
If all those look good, try a different 4047 if you have one.

turtle441

Thanks for the help. 
Removed IC9, no change.
Did some digging, figured out that I swapped the 100k and 10k pots on the delay and feedback.  Swapped those 2 out, (I hate desoldering pots!!) but doesn't appear to have fixed the problem yet.  Just changed the frequency to going from a slow click to a fast click rather than a fast click to a buzz.  (I checked, same frequency as the clock output.)
D5 is good to go.  Voltages on IC8 are all in the same ballpark, although I have to turn the delay all the way down to get the voltages to stabilize on pins 1,2,3,10,11, and 13.  Interestingly, voltages on the BBD are mostly in the same ballpark, and I can adjust the bias to get in the range you were in, but the output voltages on 3 and 4 are lower.  (approx 6V, rather than the 10V you got.)

C40 may take some work as it's sandwiched between the IC socket and a box cap, will have to work on that tonight.

I don't have another CD4047, so this may have to wait for the next Mouser order for further testing.  Bummer.

madbean

Quote from: turtle441 on December 12, 2018, 01:05:58 PM

Thanks for the help. 
Removed IC9, no change.
Did some digging, figured out that I swapped the 100k and 10k pots on the delay and feedback.  Swapped those 2 out, (I hate desoldering pots!!) but doesn't appear to have fixed the problem yet.  Just changed the frequency to going from a slow click to a fast click rather than a fast click to a buzz.  (I checked, same frequency as the clock output.)
D5 is good to go.  Voltages on IC8 are all in the same ballpark, although I have to turn the delay all the way down to get the voltages to stabilize on pins 1,2,3,10,11, and 13.  Interestingly, voltages on the BBD are mostly in the same ballpark, and I can adjust the bias to get in the range you were in, but the output voltages on 3 and 4 are lower.  (approx 6V, rather than the 10V you got.)

C40 may take some work as it's sandwiched between the IC socket and a box cap, will have to work on that tonight.

I don't have another CD4047, so this may have to wait for the next Mouser order for further testing.  Bummer.

Well I'm sure I have another 4047 which I could send you. But I don't know yet if that's the problem. Actually, I'm not sure what the problem could be if your clock cap (240pF) is correct. What is your voltage measurement on pin 7 of the first BBD (keeping in mind this will depend on where the 100k bias pot is set)?

Scruffie

Do you have half supply on pins 10 & 11 of the 4047? If so it would be worth checking the values and connections for R41, 42 & 43.
Works at Lectric-FX