News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

a New Tool Day

Started by drog_trog, October 18, 2018, 02:09:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drog_trog

Automatic Centre Punch-Sealey AK91320

Upgraded from the cheap standard £4 punch and got this and im very impressed. It has a lot of force and leaves a good hold for your drill bit.

It's around £17 depending on retailer, well worth it for me.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sealey-AK91320-Sheathed-Automatic-Centre/dp/B00VG7FXBM

EBK

I need a tool to help me better line up my drill template printouts so my handy center punch doesn't dutifully put the dents perfectly on the paper but slightly askew on the box.   :-\
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

drog_trog

Quote from: EBK on October 18, 2018, 02:15:22 PM
I need a tool to help me better line up my drill template printouts so my handy center punch doesn't dutifully put the dents perfectly on the paper but slightly askew on the box.   :-\

That would be good! i hate lining up the templates, maybe someone will have a good tip for us.

BuGG

Could be easily modified for paper template cutouts.... How straight can you cut?    ;)

chongmagic

Quote from: BuGG on October 25, 2018, 04:37:22 AM

Could be easily modified for paper template cutouts.... How straight can you cut?    ;)

I use this and it is a great tool! The jack and power template is great too! I wish I had one for all sizes.

EBK

That does look like a sweet solution!

I'd love a set of 125B, 1590B, and 1590A modified for paper templates (just without the center panel, or perhaps just the outer rim of the center panel, right?).  If you ever make them, I'd definitely buy them.
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

ahiddentableau

Hey Drog (or anyone else with experience for that matter), do you find an automatic centre punch make a significant difference over a simplier tool?  e.g. I've always used a manual punch--metal rod about 3 inches long with a machined point that I hit with a regular old hammer.  It is unsexy, but it works OK.  But I'm wondering if I'm missing the boat.  I don't own a drill press so really anything that makes a drill bit less likely to skate would be something I'd be likely to buy.

EBK

The automatic center punch allows you to use one hand to hold your enclosure to keep things steady so the punch doesn't slip/shift.  But, as I've already suggested, the punch is only as good as the template alignment, which I'm terrible at managing.