News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Powder-coating over acrylic art

Started by britpeace, October 11, 2011, 03:36:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

britpeace

Hey everyone,

We just started using the powder-coating system and were wondering if anyone else hand-paints with acrylic over top of powder-coat and than clear powder coats over tops of the hand-painted design. Will this work, or has anyone been through this before and learned anything about it? Will it react weird or mess it up?

Any help would be greatly appreciated... I've got one hand-painted/ready but wanted to ask on here before we went ahead and clear-powdered it...

thanks!
-britpeace

stecykmi

i have never powder coated anything myself, but i imagine it will work since power coating is a fairly non-reactive process, it's basically just melting plastic to metal.

my one concern would be if the acrylic paint can handle the heat of the bonding process as some paints discolour in high heat.

if your art is particularly precious to you (ie, you'll never be able to reproduce it), you could, this one time, just coat it with regular clear coat from a spray can. either that or test on another enclosure that you've done the same stuff too, but that you don't care as much about.

britpeace

Yea, that's exactly what I was thinking too. I think we're gonna go ahead and try it out. I had a terrible mishap once with a really awesome hand-painted pedal, and I didn't take it too well, lol... but this is a fairly simpler design, I won't be too heartbroken.  :P

I'll post pics when it's done!

Thanks for the response..

-britpeace

jimmybjj

Why don't you try something you don't care about first, like just a box with just the acrylic and powder first so you don't end up ruining the artwork. If I recall I was experimenting with acrylic and took a heatgun to it and in my particular situation the heat darkened and yellowed the colors.
Pcbs no longer available

britpeace

Wow, it came out perfect!!! Here's a pic attached!  :)

jkokura

HOLY MOLEY THAT LOOKS AWESOME!!!!!!

I don't often shout like that, but I had to do a triple take. That's supreme man, I can't wait to see that one!

I think I'm gonna have to go back and do a post of all my favourite builds of the year, and I have a feeling this will be in there!

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

jimmybjj

Wow, that really is amazing!!! i would buy an enclosure like that :)

I would venture to say that when completed that would be a contender for "build of the year"

Pcbs no longer available

stecykmi

very nice, be sure to post in the build report forum when you've got the circuit all boxed up.

britpeace

Hey, thanks so much guys! It's great to get such a positive response!!!  :D
Pics will def be posted when she's all boxed up! My boyfriend will post them I'm sure. I just paint 'em and photograph 'em n give him moral support :P ... the real beauty is how these things sound though!
Thanks again guys!!

-britpeace

jimmybjj

I like the pedals on your site as well, your artwork is very good.
Pcbs no longer available

juansolo

Quote from: britpeace on October 11, 2011, 09:10:37 PM
Wow, it came out perfect!!! Here's a pic attached!  :)

Absolutely love it!
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

gtr2

1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

britpeace

Thanks Jimmy! and thanks to everyone for the compliments as well! :)

dwstanford

That is a gorgeous pedal.  Ive got to get into powder coating.  Ive done hand painted pedals before, but i havent found a clear coat method that is very durable.  I know it costs a bit to get set up, but its obvious from your pics and from what ive seen from others, you can get some great results with the clearcoat.  Did you use any special arcrylics or just the standard craft store type? 

britpeace

Quote from: dwstanford on October 12, 2011, 06:45:26 PM
That is a gorgeous pedal.  Ive got to get into powder coating.  Ive done hand painted pedals before, but i havent found a clear coat method that is very durable.  I know it costs a bit to get set up, but its obvious from your pics and from what ive seen from others, you can get some great results with the clearcoat.  Did you use any special arcrylics or just the standard craft store type? 

Hey, thanks a lot!!! :)  As far as clear coat, we normally would use (up until now) Rustoleum's Ultra Cover 'gloss clear' and that was def our favorite. We literally just got into powder-coating and this was our first one. It is pricey, but well worth it if you plan on doin it for a while like we do. I mean, one coat of powder color, super fast curing, apply your art/design, one coat clear powder and another fast cure and bam! you've got a professional quality, super durable paint-job on your pedal! Sorry for ranting... haha. Anyways, I just use standard, cheap craft store acrylic, although I have 2 or 3 nicer ones that I found in the clearance bin marked down from $11 to .97 cents!! ;) Can't beat that!