News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Secret Sauce (GC Chimaera)

Started by Leevibe, October 05, 2018, 09:32:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martan

Quote from: mjg on October 05, 2018, 11:03:53 PM
First thing I noticed was that graphic - I think I've been doing this hobby too long, as I got the joke straight away.   ;)

But after I got over the 'roostaur' I noticed the rest.  Nice job all round!  The 3D printed brackets and holders make it super neat.  And UV bonded metal printing?  What is this magic? 

Keep this one handy for build of the year I think.

+1. Excellent!

Stomptown

Guitar pedals and Sriracha; two of my favorite things in this world brought together as one! Great job as always Lee.  You're really taking the 3D printing to the next level and the wiring looks great!

Bret608

The thing I love is that you got the Sriracha font just right! There are some serious Sriracha addicts in my household. My wife is actually partial to Sambal Oelek as it's quite a bit spicier. First rate build all around...I love humorous takes on Klones. Seriously need to finish up my GC Klone as well...

Pro pronunciation tip on the word Sriracha for anyone curious: don't voice the "r" after that initial "s", use a slight rising tone on that first syllable, a flat mid tone on the next two, and you will be able to impress native Thai speakers with relative ease.  :)

Cheers,

Bret

Marshall Arts

I've been using 3D-Printing in my pedals for quite some time now (e.g. in my 2014 Wah, see below), so I am really upset, that I did not come up with the DC-Jack holder idea.

HonestLEE, how could you do that to me?!

This being said, who says you can't learn and copy from other DIY-projects  ;). Thanks for the brilliant idea, Lee. The best part is, you can solder it up in a box and do not have to resolder, if you want to take the electronics out (e.g. for painting, which seems to be my preferred way of working: solder, test, put in box, play for a year, decide to paint and label ;-)).

Leevibe

Quote from: Bret608 on October 09, 2018, 03:27:48 PM
The thing I love is that you got the Sriracha font just right!

Thanks for noticing, Bret! I actually kind of obsessed over finding the right font. There are many that claim to be it but they just don't quite nail it. For me, this one is a dead ringer. It's called "Bazooka." It doesn't include the drop shadow but a little bit of layering cleverness is all that is needed.

Quote from: Marshall Arts on October 11, 2018, 02:12:15 PM
I've been using 3D-Printing in my pedals for quite some time now (e.g. in my 2014 Wah, see below), so I am really upset, that I did not come up with the DC-Jack holder idea.

HonestLEE, how could you do that to me?!

This being said, who says you can't learn and copy from other DIY-projects  ;). Thanks for the brilliant idea, Lee. The best part is, you can solder it up in a box and do not have to resolder, if you want to take the electronics out (e.g. for painting, which seems to be my preferred way of working: solder, test, put in box, play for a year, decide to paint and label ;-)).

I remember seeing your printed bracket but I couldn't remember who had done it. Thanks for reminding me! I think 3D printing provides lots of solutions for pedal internals and I expect to see a lot more of it being used in the coming years.

Nice job on the jack bracket! That looks pro. What are you printing in? I'm mostly using PETG because it's tougher and I don't have to worry about degradation or deforming (even though it's probably not truly an issue with PLA in this application).

With the lumberg jacks, if you put the work in to your model, you can have the added bonus of extending the bracket along the sides of the jack body to keep them from twisting when you tighten them. There are models of the jack available that you can bring into your model.

I also think it's cool to hang the board bracket off of the stomp switch and run the model out to the side of the enclosure. It blocks the switch in so you can tighten it down to the enclosure without it spinning.

Here are a couple pics that show a bracket I did on my "Lotus" fuzz that is tailored to the Lumbergs, and a screen shot of my Fusion 360 model for the printed parts in the "Secret Sauce."

Hammond provides models of their enclosures so it makes it really easy to import them and then just model around them. I've even printed a complete enclosure for a project I've been working on so I can check fit of parts etc. I can't imagine attempting the project without being able to do it this way.

Marshall Arts

This is so cool, Lee. I guess, this hobby will never get boring given all the fresh ideas I get from this forum.

I print in PLA and don't worry about degeneration. I have printed a stratocaster backside spring cover years ago and it's been exposed to the forces of travel and elements (belt buckle, uv light, beer, temperature). It still looks Ok.

Thanks also for the idea to use 3d Printed models of Jacks and enclosures and to use anti-spinning-edges.

Keep on!

Marshall Arts

P. S. I use freeCAD for my designs, maybe we should start a (link) library for 3D pedal parts on MBP...

EBK

This is my new favorite pedal to look at, inside and out.  Will we see it again for the BOTY contest?
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

Leevibe

Quote from: EBK on October 13, 2018, 12:15:48 PM
This is my new favorite pedal to look at, inside and out.  Will we see it again for the BOTY contest?

Wow! Thanks man. I may enter it but I'm actually working on something else I might enter if I can finish it on time.

nzCdog

diablochris6

Everything about this is top notch! I'm the only one who likes the sauce in my house (and the only one that likes guitar pedals); the more for me, I guess.

The internal layout is flawless. So many awesome ideas in one box!
Build guides of my original designs and modifications here

Ekimneets

Sorry to post the same thing on two different threads but that's beautiful and the kind of work I'm hoping to do.

-M

Typo'd from my iphone
Legion of one at Black Octopus Pedalworx.

EBK

Quote from: Leevibe on October 13, 2018, 01:50:27 PM
Quote from: EBK on October 13, 2018, 12:15:48 PM

Wow! Thanks man. I may enter it but I'm actually working on something else I might enter if I can finish it on time.
I'm looking back and laughing at this comment now (if I only knew what you had on your workbench).   ;D  So, now you've built my first and second favorite pedals to look at.
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber