News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Rangemaster with some mods and Roadrage

Started by timbo_93631, October 07, 2011, 09:02:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

timbo_93631

Here is my latest build...  The decal didn't come out so well, I have been having issues with the edges wanting to curl up, I dunno if it is too much clear coat or what, but it is an inkjet waterslide decal.  The circuit has the standard Treble Middle mod using a .005uf TRW polystyrene cap for the input paralleled with a .0047uf Philips Mustard cap.  Output caps are greenies, .01uf and .022uf on a switch that is marked Fat or Tight on the decal.  Then there is a simple clipping section that uses 1n914's and diffused green LED's and has an on off on switch.  I find it to be useful when you are using a rangemaster for a slight boost to get a bit more grit, and alternately to expand the dirt capabilities of a cranked RM.  I tried the velcro method of mounting the PCB's, a 125B was just the right size to keep things pretty neat and still have room for a battery.  I went for a ground bus too, too many grounds to use the jack lugs...
Sunday Musical Instruments LLC.
Sunday Handwound Pickups

Sigesmundninja

nzCdog

Very nice build there man... such a cool sounding pedal too! :)

jkokura

Great setup with the mods. I like it.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

bigmufffuzzwizz

I too like the look of the decal, even all worn like that.
This must sound awesome with all those mods. Did you try different transistors before settling on your choice?
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

dwstanford

Great looking pedal.  Lots of mojo going on.  I would like to try the clippinig mod.  How do you like the oc71?

timbo_93631

I got the transistor for this build from an ebay seller in the UK that test them for leakage and gain.  http://stores.ebay.com/Interesting-Electronics?_trksid=p4340.l2563
I bought one that had Hfe = 51 and 190uA leakage, right in the ballpark of what OC71's have worked well in the past.  The last RM I built before this one had a metal can OC71 from mammoth which took some work to get biased properly because it was pretty leaky, but still useable.  I have also built others using a 10k pot and CV7003 and OC44's, but I prefer using a 25k boost pot and OC71's.  The clipping mod is good and simple, you can try anything you like there but with germanium diodes it is pretty subtle, I think the clipping is so similar to the cranked RM that it sounds like the RM on it's own just clipping at a lower volume.  LED's or Si diodes produce more of an overdrive crunch.  One thing I hadn't noticed at first was the red dot on a glass package OC71 denotes the collector, not the emitter like the metal tab on a TO-5 package OC44, so it is good to be aware of that.  Thanks for the compliments, gonna try it out at church tomorrow morning...
Sunday Musical Instruments LLC.
Sunday Handwound Pickups