News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Phaser comparison video - 90 vs 45

Started by jkokura, October 05, 2011, 04:37:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jkokura

Hey guys and gals. Have you been thinking of building a Phaser, but don't know whether to choose the  Phase 90 or Phase 45? Perhaps hearing a quick comparison of the two pedals side by side will help you choose! Stay tuned for the upcoming Phase 45 layout available in the Member's Projects section, along with matched JFets so you can build your own if you choose!

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

bigmufffuzzwizz

I can most definitely hear a difference between the two. The phase 90 sounds a little more lush to me than the 45. Maybe you could describe it as two depth settings..
Great contribution and I'm excited to see your full project!!  :)
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

stecykmi

pretty much what i expected, but a nice confirmation. good video.

note that some who like the 90 with clean tones might prefer the 45 with distorted tone. For some (not me), phasers with a big sweep can be too big with distortion.

jimmybjj

Thanks for the demo Jacob. I prefer the phase 45 for distortion and 90 clean (generally)
Pcbs no longer available

juansolo

I've got both and you can make a 90 sound just about like a 45. But overall I much prefer the subtle character of the 45, the 90 is much more pronounced in comparison.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

irmcdermott

if one sounds best with clean, the other sounds best with distortion, why not put both in one box?

Ceraph

MUCHO KUDOS!!! THIS IS A GREAT VIDEO COMPARISON which definitely answers the questions I (and presumably many others) have had about the differences in the 45 vs. the 90!!!

angrykoko

Quote from: irmcdermott on October 10, 2011, 08:13:07 PM
if one sounds best with clean, the other sounds best with distortion, why not put both in one box?

Anyone check out the Dr. Phybes at guitarpcb.com?   He's added a switch to take out the feedback to stage 2 on what looks like a phase 90.

Wonder if that get's close to sounding like 45 or 90 with the flip of a switch?
The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese in the trap.

nzCdog

Nice to have a comparrison... now that I hear them both, I think I'm a '45 guy

GrindCustoms

Thanks for the clip Jacob, now i know that i have biased my Smoothie correctly :)

Having to phaser in one box would be really nice, having another modulation effect or time based that doubles up the speed  of another one always gives cool results......well....for me..hehe
Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

jkokura

I've thought seriously about doing a PCB with a switch to go from 90 to 45. Problem is, that I haven't been able to make it work on a breadboard. Until that happens, it's probably not going to happen.

Likely, it's a symptom of the circuits being too specific, or just my lack of knowledge about how the phase is actually happening. Gain circuits I understand better. PT2399's I'm starting to get better with too. But Phase...

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

Scruffie

You could easily do a phase 90/45 style hybrid with OTAs, even have rotary switchable LFOs and filtering if the mood took you. Phasers are generally pretty nice building blocks. No FET matching and OTAs are a bit more forgiveing.
Works at Lectric-FX

TNblueshawk

Quote from: GrindCustoms on August 19, 2012, 09:28:36 PM
Thanks for the clip Jacob, now i know that i have biased my Smoothie correctly :)

Having to phaser in one box would be really nice, having another modulation effect or time based that doubles up the speed  of another one always gives cool results......well....for me..hehe

Hey Rej, what delay do you have in mind to buddy up with a phaser? After I get a run of builds out of the way I may go on a stretch of 2 builds in one trying to couple a few cool ideas up.
John