News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Bipolar caps in Cherrybomb

Started by Sigesmundninja, October 04, 2011, 09:33:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sigesmundninja

Last week i ordered parts for a coupple of project. Today i got a mail that told my order was shipping. When I checked the part-list i noticed I've ordered wrong parts for my cherrybomb.

this is probably a noob-question, but thats ok, cause i'm a noob  ;D

Is it ok to put 10uf bipolar caps in C5 and C9 of the Cherrybomb?

/Markus

mgwhit

Yup.  They're just coupling caps for blocking DC and shaping tone.  They're not part of the power supply filtering or another part of the circuit where polarity would be important.

Sigesmundninja

keysandguitars

i recently purchased some of these caps from Mammoth. http://www.mammothelectronics.com/Nichicon-16-Volt-Electrolytic-Capacitors-p/301-a-16v.htm
Am I correct in interpreting MG's response to mean that these could or will be problematic in the power supply filtering or another part of the circuit where polarity would be important?
I should still be a "diode destroyer"!

madbean

Polarity is only important in power supply filtering if you hook your cap up incorrectly or your power supply. As long as you are using a reverse polarity protection diode, you can use bipolar caps for filtering the supply.

You can sub bipolars for polarized caps just about everywhere.

keysandguitars

Thank you for the help, Brian. Can't wait to get the Mangler and EgoDriver in the mail...thanks for getting them out so quickly!
I should still be a "diode destroyer"!

mgwhit

Quote from: madbean on October 05, 2011, 05:48:13 PM
Polarity is only important in power supply filtering if you hook your cap up incorrectly or your power supply. As long as you are using a reverse polarity protection diode, you can use bipolar caps for filtering the supply.

You can sub bipolars for polarized caps just about everywhere.

I stand corrected -- thanks!