News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Voodoo Child

Started by cooder, June 24, 2018, 06:53:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cooder

Roger Mayer Voodoo Vibe here on Brenja's fantastic board.
Sounds flippin' awesome and could be my desert island pedal. I just love vibe style pedals and this does so much, the tremolo also sounds soooo good and the wave options and tweakability. Flat out great to have.
So glad I finally got around putting this together.

I didn't do myself favours by being stuborn with my pot placement and I did all pot off board wired and I included the three position cap selector for the Univibe voicing. A very useful mod too and worth the effort.
Because of all the wiring and how I placed the controls in my stubborness it was a VERY tight fit to get it in. Bottle ship type stuff.
I count myself lucky that it did in the end.
Also wired the expression pedal for the fine control of speed and that is such good fun to have too. Leslie type sounds and throbbing tremolo are just delicious when you can control the speed while noodling. Fun fun fun...

Acrylic faceplate held by 3mm stainless Allen head screws.

Guts:

Those big red caps are WIMA film caps 3.3uF/16V which I used in place of the 2.2uF electrolytic ones that schematic calls for. I just had those kicking around and they do the job just fine of course if not better. They are fairly big and I had to mount some of them somewhat tilted to make it fit (swearing and mumbling going on...).
BigNoise Amplification

m-Kresol

Great work and a tight fit for sure
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

mjg

Wow, there is a lot going on in there.  Nice work! 

davent

That's scary tight  Stephan, great job!

What size of an enclosure did you use?
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

cooder

Quote from: davent on June 24, 2018, 04:14:29 PM
That's scary tight  Stephan, great job!

What size of an enclosure did you use?
dave
Cheers Dave, the enclosure is a 1590XX (refering to measurements given on Hammond website).
On one hand there's a bit of "wasted" space on the footswitch side, but the really tight fit was getting the rotary to fit above the pcb (if you look closely you'll see that i actually had to grind of a tiny bit of pcb to fit it in) and the jacks that I had and always use.
It would have been easier with Lumberg jacks I guess but I don't have them here and they don't sell them in the corner store either...

I always use either the 125B enclosure or this larger 1590XX size as my pedalboard is spaced for them. So it kinda has to go in and even if I use a hammer... :o

But it's in and I love it!
BigNoise Amplification

Yahoo67

There is space left for a battery clip :p
Nice work !

Turnip-Tone

Great work! Congrats! Very compact & very tidy  :)
Are the PCBs for this still around?

cooder

Quote from: Black Napkins on June 26, 2018, 06:27:40 PM
Great work! Congrats! Very compact & very tidy  :)
Are the PCBs for this still around?
Cheers! I do think Brenja has some left, best shot him a PM.
BigNoise Amplification

Turnip-Tone

Thanks Stephen. Will do :)

fair.child

This looks very well executed! Love it!

jimilee

That is sharp lookin, hows the sound?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

cooder

Quote from: jimilee on June 28, 2018, 02:10:57 PM

Cheers! I think it sounds absolutely fab and as said in original post this could be my 'desert island' pedal!
It does so much so well.
This pedal and a cranked Fender Vibroverb amp or so... I just wonder if there's a wall power outlet on a desert island?!?

In the meantime enjoying an overload of pedals and amps being on the Mainland, plenty of wall outlets here... ;)
BigNoise Amplification

jimilee

Quote from: cooder on June 28, 2018, 09:17:34 PM
Quote from: jimilee on June 28, 2018, 02:10:57 PM

Cheers! I think it sounds absolutely fab and as said in original post this could be my 'desert island' pedal!
It does so much so well.
This pedal and a cranked Fender Vibroverb amp or so... I just wonder if there's a wall power outlet on a desert island?!?

In the meantime enjoying an overload of pedals and amps being on the Mainland, plenty of wall outlets here... ;)
Solar Power my friend.

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

brejna

Awesome looking build! You really squeezed it.. :)

cooder

Quote from: brejna on August 28, 2018, 09:03:11 PM
Awesome looking build! You really squeezed it.. :)
Cheers Brane, thanks for making such a great project! Sounds awesome!
BigNoise Amplification