News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Need Some Help With A Tele - UPDATE: FINI

Started by trailer, May 03, 2018, 01:02:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trailer

So I have a Telecaster my pops played he was younger that was lost to oblivion for about twenty years. Well the thing popped up recently and I got my hands on it. This thing is in rough shape but the neck looks good and so does the body. That being said, I want to gut it and make it my own. Trouble is, I don't know what the guitar really is. The body edges are significantly rounded like a strat and a normal eight hole pick guard wont fit without significant modification. See the picture in the next reply. Anybody have any clues as to what it could be? I know it is at least 30 years old. What would you do with it? I'm looking for ideas.

trailer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thesmokingman

looks like a partscaster. I'd be pleasantly surprised to learn Fender let one out of the factory with contoured body and neck mini humbucker
once upon a time I was Tornado Alley FX

stringsthings

That is the definition of a reliced pickguard.  :)  (and mini-humbucker cover with a lovely patina of green)

All kidding aside, the neck and body look sound.
All You Need Is Love

movinginslomo

That offgassing rotting pickguard corroding all the metal OUCH get rid of it ASAP

matmosphere

Headstock shape would go a ways at figuring out what it might be.

Or take the neck off and see if it's stamped

I agree that the pickgaurd should go immediately.

matmosphere

gordo

Scrape some of the flakes off the guard, string it up, and let er rip....

Make sure your tetanus shot is up to date, just in case :)
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

jimilee

Quote from: Matmosphere on May 05, 2018, 01:08:07 AM
Headstock shape would go a ways at figuring out what it might be.

Or take the neck off and see if it's stamped

I agree that the pickgaurd should go immediately.
This

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

juansolo

Man I'd love to have a shot at that...

First things first strip it and clean it up. The guard has to go. If you're brave, maybe cut a bakealite guard for it. I'd be interested to see how well all the wood cleans up as is and the state of the frets after a thorough cleaning. It's certainly going to be the part that's easiest to save, it all depends how original you want to keep it all. The rest of the hardware. Hell, that's the most extreme relic I've ever seen! See what you can save, bin what you can't. It's a tele, they're meant to be mongrels ;)

That'll have a boat-load of personality when done if nothing else.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

trailer

Its all finished, for now. It's twangy as all get out, which is what I wanted. I love it. Now to get an old Super Champ working again...

It's ugly, but it's mine.

jimilee

That's nice, not ugly at all.

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

juansolo

This is why I love teles! It lives again, it's evolved, it's unique, and you've made it yours. It has history without getting bogged down in that 'have to keep it original' nonsense.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

Tremster

Well done!
I love reading stories like this.