News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Another lazy finishing technique

Started by culturejam, February 26, 2018, 01:18:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

culturejam

Quote from: somnif on February 26, 2018, 11:02:57 PM
I mean, you could, but the real deal are like 50 cents a piece, the printer media would cost more than a trip to a fabric store.

Not really. I could print that exact stencil I used for about 20 cents.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

somnif

Oh, every time I see printer plastic stock for sale at Frys it always seems ridiculously expensive. Maybe its like Adafruit and they just stock a pricey brand.

culturejam

Quote from: somnif on February 27, 2018, 01:05:43 AM
Oh, every time I see printer plastic stock for sale at Frys it always seems ridiculously expensive. Maybe its like Adafruit and they just stock a pricey brand.

A kilo of PLA is about $20. I could make a LOT of stencils with a kilo. Like, a whole lot. :)

somnif

Quote from: culturejam on February 27, 2018, 01:07:15 AM
Quote from: somnif on February 27, 2018, 01:05:43 AM

A kilo of PLA is about $20. I could make a LOT of stencils with a kilo. Like, a whole lot. :)

Ah I see. Frys has it 25$ for 200g of the stuff, which always seemed high to me.

culturejam

Quote from: somnif on February 27, 2018, 01:19:07 AM
Ah I see. Frys has it 25$ for 200g of the stuff, which always seemed high to me.

That is highway robbery. Unless it's some kind of speciality filament, never pay that much.

thesmokingman

been wanting to try lace as a stencil since seeing a rat rod friend of mine use it in a racing stripe for visual interest
once upon a time I was Tornado Alley FX

jposega

Quote from: madbean on February 27, 2018, 12:51:58 AM
Quote from: madbean on February 26, 2018, 10:55:54 PM
That is cool! I wonder - have you tried using your 3d printer to make stencils for the same kind of thing? Or are they prints too rough for that?

I mean, you could, but the real deal are like 50 cents a piece, the printer media would cost more than a trip to a fabric store.

I don't mean copies of the one he used - stencils based on artwork. Like a full sheet covering the enclosure with cutouts for the lettering, etc. Might not be practical...the pic just made me think of it.

Makes me think a 3D printed faceplate would be pretty cool.

movinginslomo

Quote from: madbean on February 27, 2018, 12:51:58 AM
Quote from: madbean on February 26, 2018, 10:55:54 PM
That is cool! I wonder - have you tried using your 3d printer to make stencils for the same kind of thing? Or are they prints too rough for that?

I don't mean copies of the one he used - stencils based on artwork. Like a full sheet covering the enclosure with cutouts for the lettering, etc. Might not be practical...the pic just made me think of it.

Isn't that what laser cut vinyl is for?

culturejam

Quote from: movinginslomo on February 27, 2018, 01:57:23 AM
Isn't that what laser cut vinyl is for?

Vinyl tends to melt with most kinds of rattle can paint. See pic below. I think you need acrylic to not melt it. Haven't tried it, but I think I read somewhere that they are compatible.

reddesert

Quote from: culturejam on February 27, 2018, 01:07:15 AM

Shoot, a fella could have a pretty good weekend in Vegas with all that stuff.

nzCdog

davent

For years i've used transluscent frisket film from art supply stores for making stencils, cuts easily with an xacto knife, adhesive backed and releases easy. Works great with acrylic paints, no idea if it can be used with the nastier solvents of rattle can paints, possibly.

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

stringsthings

Quote from: culturejam on February 26, 2018, 01:18:50 AM
Got the idea while chasing my kid through Joann Fabric the other day. I saw these cool disk things that looked like they would make for a neat rattle can stencil. Apparently this things are called a "plastic canvas".

That turned out great! 
All You Need Is Love

culturejam

Shot some clear over the box and it looks pretty good. It's shiny but not over-the-top shiny.

I have a populated Belton II reverb board that I designed a few years back for a client who never ended up using it, so I I think I'll put it in this box. And I'll laser-etch the control labels onto the knobs just for fun.

sjaustin

That's a creative idea and a great result. Cool!