News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Any other Boss PS-3 users here?

Started by lars, February 24, 2018, 04:57:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lars

I've been watching demos of these for a while now, and finally decided to go ahead and get one. I have to say I'm very impressed with the sound quality, tracking, and shear combinations of effects you can get out of this one box. There is definitely a learning curve to it (you can make some pretty horrible sounds with bad settings), but the "right" settings are great. Mode 7 is usually the one that is praised and talked about, but IMHO I think Mode 8, Dual Detune, is the money maker for this one. It's like getting a Dimension C without shelling out the $300-$400 they want for those now. I also really like mode 6, which can be dialed in to sound like the opening guitar riff in the Foo Fighters "Run". It gives a nice, subtle 12 string guitar sound.
The real key is to be very cautious with the balance knob, I think any negative reviews are from people that pour on the wet signal. Just a little goes a long way, especially with the more wacky settings. Too much, and it just sounds gimmicky. A little touch adds tons of character to otherwise typical chords and riffs.
Overall, it's a great pedal I would recommend to anyone, if you can get it for a reasonable price (sub $130 range). This is one of those effects that would be a nightmare to clone, so an original is about the only option.

Addy Bart

Forget where I saw this, but someone had mounted a light dependent resistor onto a jack plug and used it with the EXP input.

flanagan0718

I had a PS3 a long time ago. They are very useful. The delay in it was nice and clean too. I think I still have the manual for it somewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lars

Quote from: Addy Bart on February 24, 2018, 03:40:22 PM
Forget where I saw this, but someone had mounted a light dependent resistor onto a jack plug and used it with the EXP input.
Yeah, I saw that on YouTube, but it didn't work very well. The expression jack on the PS-3 is designed for the Boss EV-5 expression pedal, which only has a 10k pot in it. A typical LDR can range up to several mega ohms, so a pretty poor choice.

alanp

Put a resistor in parallel with the LDR to drop the resistance.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website