News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

NGD (sort of)

Started by Timko, January 19, 2018, 03:15:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Timko

In 2017 I found my guitar collection growing quite a bit with the addition of a Johnny Marr Jaguar and a Johnny A Custom.  Of course, I told myself that I don't need to buy any more guitar.  And of course, I totally failed at that.  In October, the store I take lessons at (and bought the Marr) gave me a call, telling me they just bought a 1992 Gretsch Country Classic II.  For those not in the Gretsch community, the Country Classic was the name given to their guitars while Chet Arkins was with Gibson.  I've always been a sucker for semi and fully hollow bodies, and I loved the way this one played.  The only thing that was off was the poorly designed roller bridge.  So last week I added a Tru Arc bar bridge after having the frets leveled and re-crowned.  And now it's finally ready for some serious playing.

The 90s Gretsches have ceramic pickups which helps it overdrive a little easier.  While Gretsch purists often switch them out for the Alnico-based TV Jones, I like the rauchiness these have.  The wiring is really suspect (only the first 1/5 of the tone pot provides much use), so that's going to get replaced, but for now, I'm happy to be rocking out with this. 

If anyone is considering getting a bar bridge on a Gretsch, the answer is yes.  I have a Compton on my first one and a Tru Arc on this, and it's probably the single most impactful modification I've made.

pickdropper

That's VERY nice, Tim.

A Gretsch is one of the few things I feel is missing from my collection of instruments. 

The only thing I'm unsure about is the shape of their necks.  Do any of their models have more of a C shape?  Most of the ones I've played are D shaped with a somewhat flattened center.  I'd actually like to find something that's the opposite, somewhat of a full C with narrow shoulders, similar to the PRS pattern neck.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

Timko

The archtops have a flatter neck like you're describing.  This one had a little more heft to it, like a shallow C rather than a D.

The Duo Jets (their chambered solid bodies) have a more Les Paul neck with substantially more material.  If Gretsch ever made an archtop with that neck I'd probably sell the 2 I have and buy one.

Also, everyone needs a Gretsch :).

jimilee

First off, I don't know why you guys feel like you ha e to limit how many guitars you have, secondly, I love it. A Gretsch is sorely missing from my collection as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

pickdropper

Quote from: Timko on January 19, 2018, 04:40:53 PM
The archtops have a flatter neck like you're describing.  This one had a little more heft to it, like a shallow C rather than a D.

The Duo Jets (their chambered solid bodies) have a more Les Paul neck with substantially more material.  If Gretsch ever made an archtop with that neck I'd probably sell the 2 I have and buy one.

Also, everyone needs a Gretsch :).

Thanks, that's great info. 
Function f(x)

pickdropper

Quote from: jimilee on January 19, 2018, 05:07:46 PM
First off, I don't know why you guys feel like you ha e to limit how many guitars you have, secondly, I love it. A Gretsch is sorely missing from my collection as well.

For me, it's mainly about space and utility.  I don't have a hard cap number of instruments that I can have, but I am definitely focusing more on quality than quantity now.  Not everything I own is expensive, but price is not the only indicator of quality.
Function f(x)

sjaustin

That's a lovely guitar! I have a Compton on my Gretsch G5420, and it does make a huge difference. I love my Gretsch. Just feels right.

Timko

Quote from: sjaustin on January 19, 2018, 05:53:47 PM
That's a lovely guitar! I have a Compton on my Gretsch G5420, and it does make a huge difference. I love my Gretsch. Just feels right.

+1.  My first Gretsch was a 5120 with a stainless Compton and it sounds great.  I wanted to go with Tru Arc this time due to it's more classic design.

jimilee

Quote from: pickdropper on January 19, 2018, 05:25:09 PM

For me, it's mainly about space and utility.  I don't have a hard cap number of instruments that I can have, but I am definitely focusing more on quality than quantity now.  Not everything I own is expensive, but price is not the only indicator of quality.
I feel you, I have them all over the place in my 2br apt, it's ridiculous. I have several in the 1/2k but I too am focusing on better quality. I love building them also.

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

blearyeyes

Quote from: jimilee on January 19, 2018, 07:44:50 PM
Quote from: pickdropper on January 19, 2018, 05:25:09 PM

I feel you, I have them all over the place in my 2br apt, it's ridiculous. I have several in the 1/2k but I too am focusing on better quality. I love building them also.

I have too many and not enough.
8-/

BrianS

Quote from: Timko on January 19, 2018, 03:15:14 PM
In 2017 I found my guitar collection growing quite a bit with the addition of a Johnny Marr Jaguar and a Johnny A Custom.  Of course, I told myself that I don't need to buy any more guitar.  And of course, I totally failed at that.

That's a real pretty looker.  I continue this struggle, as you, swearing off buying another guitar I don't really need.  Lucky I went ahead and did what you did last month and bought a D'Angelico hollow body which has become my favorite guitar.  So in my case I'm glad I did this time which it appears you are also.  It's a fine looking instrument.