News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Klon Buffer and SHO

Started by raulduke, September 17, 2011, 04:09:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

raulduke

This is my Klon Buffer that I built.

I designed the PCB and had it fabricated by dorkbot (FTW).

I got a real geeky rush when my first boards arrived in the post; it was like being a kid at christmas or something ha ha!

This buffer circuit seems to have become the standard beginners project for people doing their own PCB layouts here at Madbean.

Its built in a heavy duty enclosure (pre powdercoated grey) with no swithces or anything as its always on.

I have also uploaded a pic of my SHO layout that I have built up; it sounds good so I will be boxing it up soon.

bigmufffuzzwizz

They both look great! I really wanna get into doing this..what's your recommendation?
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

jkokura

Magic, you should star with a Muff of course!

It seems like everyone's into it now. Dorkbot is revolutionizing the DIY Pedal thing.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

JakeFuzz

Quote from: jkokura on September 17, 2011, 05:12:25 PM
Magic, you should star with a Muff of course!

It seems like everyone's into it now. Dorkbot is revolutionizing the DIY Pedal thing.

Jacob

I totally agree with this Magic... You really have a great, marketable design with that shrine fuzz. I know I really want one. On the side I can help you get a layout together if you have a schematic. 

Great job Raul, I really like that gray powder coat, looks so Pete Cornish  8)

raulduke

Yep dorkbot was certainly a revellation to me.

I personally do not have the time/inclination to start etching!

I have already ordered three more boards (Catalinbread Formula No.5, Soulsonic Folkdriver and ROG Omega Boost) with dorkbot and have a few more designs ready to go (MS20 Filter with LFO etc.).

bigmuffwizz; go look on gaussmarkov's diy site at all his eagle tutorials. Follow each one in order and you should be on your way.

It really is addictive doing layouts though so beware!

A lot of my PCB questions have been answered on this forum too so don't hesitate to ask.  :)

raulduke

Thanks for the compliments Paul (I posted before I read your reply)!

Magic: I would be happy to have a go at a Layout for this Fuzz design of yours too if you have a schematic.

jimmybjj

Pcbs no longer available

bigmufffuzzwizz

I have read through that tutorial, it really helped me with getting going. My first attempt was a Timmy which didn't really go all too well. The schematic part is easy but when I got to the board layout it was just too overwhelming. I'm kinda bummed that Gauss Markov doesn't cover that part at all except ground pour. He does say laying out is an art which could very well be my explanation! I should probably start with something easy like the rest of you, even though a Muff is my obvious goal.
It's just the basic muff schem, but modified in a few ways to my liking and apparently others also. You all are encouraging me greatly to try again. And it's great to know if I can't get it done, I got some folks to hold my hand  :)
Plus out of respect for Brian, I'm gonna have to stop using Gruntboxes even though I like the layout soo much!

jkokura

I learned by copying. Madbean projects are good to copy actually.

Starting with a fuzz or buffer or boost is a good idea too. Those are super easy to learn with.

Now I'm up to Delays with modulation and tap tempo...

Jacob
JMK PCBs *New Website*

raulduke

I would start again with a simple circuit (like the klon buffer and SHO  ;) ) and see how it goes.

One tip I have picked up is to set the bottom layer as your ground plane before you start routing any components. This erradicates a lot of air wires which can make things look more daunting than it really is.

There aren't really any layout rules or methods as far as Im aware though.

Once you have one layout under your belt then it is just a case of working your way up in complexity I guess.

The good thing about dorkbot is that your paying for two layers which makes things a bit easier in terms of layout(rather than etching with single layer).

jkokura

I agree. Two layers is quite good as far as layouts go. However, I would recommend that anyone getting into doing layouts learn how to do things on one layer for a while. The reason is that layouts are more challenging that way, and you need to be much more creative in how you route things and lay things out. I've learnt a lot of my tricks and habits from doing one layer layouts, and they've certainly been very helpful as I've expanded to doing two layers. Ground plane is also very helpful.

JMK PCBs *New Website*

jimmybjj

Quote from: jkokura on September 17, 2011, 11:03:03 PM
I agree. Two layers is quite good as far as layouts go. However, I would recommend that anyone getting into doing layouts learn how to do things on one layer for a while. The reason is that layouts are more challenging that way, and you need to be much more creative in how you route things and lay things out. I've learnt a lot of my tricks and habits from doing one layer layouts, and they've certainly been very helpful as I've expanded to doing two layers. Ground plane is also very helpful.

I agreed with everything said here. I try to complete everything I do in one layer first, then move to double. It's more challenging and usually ends up neater and more compact in double layer. I also have a layout to share with all of the etchers :)
Pcbs no longer available

nzCdog

Tidy work man, that pcb looks awesome! :)

raulduke

Cheers Dude!

I really enjoyed putting these together.

I can't wait till my next boards arrive.

Plus I have loads of Madbean to build as well; so many projects so little time  :)

bigmufffuzzwizz

Quote from: jimmybjj on September 17, 2011, 11:07:56 PM
I also have a layout to share with all of the etchers :)

I'm intrigued Jim! Wonder what it could be...