News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

You think Guitar Center goes under?

Started by peAk, December 12, 2017, 06:49:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peAk

jimilee

I'm of 2 schools of thought. On one hand, Mom and pop shops don't have the buying power a big Corp has, but there's nothing like a mom and pop shop either, so I'd like to see them flourish again. Will GC make it? Sure, in some form I'm sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

thesmokingman

my understanding is that without a debt restructuring the party is over for guitar center ... carvin quit ... gibson is circling the drain ... fender paid down some debt and is afloat but frankly there's a tipping point where we all own the amount of guitars and amps we're going to own and without a new market to sell to it won't last. kids aren't picking up the guitar like they used to.
once upon a time I was Tornado Alley FX

madbean

Wait, when did youTube start putting sponsored content in the comment sections? Have I just noticed this?

mremic01

Guitar Center never really have much to offer me. The employees don't know what they're talking about and they usually don't have what I'm looking for. But I always assumed they'd have a market with new players looking to get their first guitar and not knowing any better. Also, people who need stuff for a gig and can't wait.

It's weird to see all these guitar-related businesses struggling. Just a few years ago, it seemed like guitar was bigger than ever. Guitar Hero had gotten popular and people wanted to play for real. Tons of people were getting into metal through Metalocalypse. The whole indie scene was exploding.

I don't know what the kids are into these days, but whatever it is, they're wrong.

peAk

Govmnt_Lacky

mremic01

peAk

I think Amazon are also killing these stores

TNblueshawk

I've often wondered how they have made it so far to date. I try not to go into one unless I have to. Like was said you have your idiots working there. Then you have your too cool for the room guys who think their shit doesn't stink. Don't much care for them either. The last time I tried to buy something from them was over a year ago. I needed a 12AX7. They were out  :o  I guess I understand. It is such an uncommon tube value.
John

mremic01

Quote from: TNblueshawk on December 12, 2017, 09:06:47 PM
I needed a 12AX7. They were out  :o  I guess I understand. It is such an uncommon tube value.

No one plays toobs anymore. Check out this rockin' Spider III, it's got all the built in fx and amp models you'll ever need. Pay with cash right now and I can cut you a sweet deal- I'll throw in this metal zone and a free cable! Also, would you like to sign up for our credit card?

strat68

What surprised me is they just opened a new one in Laurel,MD in October.  It looks like every other one.

jimilee

I was talking to a friend that owns a music store. Guitar sales follow music trends, and right now there are now new guitar hero's so to speak, or guitar songs blowing up the radio or whatever people use to consume media now. He said it's all tailor swift, acoustics and ukuleles right now. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

EBK

Quote from: peAk on December 12, 2017, 08:51:38 PM
I think Amazon are also killing these stores
My bass and amp were both Amazon purchases.  I can't be bothered to go to a store to try out stuff anymore.  Heck, even my Martin HD-28 was purchased online (based on the dealer's reputation and lots of photos). That was a no-nonsense negotiation.  I emailed them to ask for their best price, and they quoted a number that was one-half MAP plus a reasonable margin. 
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: mremic01 on December 12, 2017, 09:48:46 PM
Check out this rockin' Spider III, it's got all the built in fx and amp models you'll ever need. Pay with cash right now and I can cut you a sweet deal- I'll throw in this metal zone and a free cable! Also, would you like to sign up for our credit card?

Mike?

From Guitar Center?

Is that ....you??

::)