News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Enclosures in progress

Started by jkokura, September 11, 2011, 12:32:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jkokura

I've been working out of my home most of this summer, so the last projects I finished were back in May. Now I'm back at it, in between taking care of my daughter and being with my wife in the hospital (just a couple more weeks left hopefully).

Anyway, I was drilling and decaling today. I was soldering last night, and I nearly finished three big PCB's for that 1590DD...

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

keysandguitars

Dang, you've been busy. I really like the modulation station idea, that would be sweet to have on the board.
I should still be a "diode destroyer"!

jimmybjj

Wow, thats alot of work!!! Looking Goooood.
Pcbs no longer available

shawnee

nzCdog

Wow jacob!  Your pedal designs look wicked! :o 

snz728

Excellent work. :o  I too like the modulation station idea

FuzzMonkey

chip46

Jacob, what method do you use for your decals? They all look great. Love that Modulation Station!

I need to start making my own.

irmcdermott

I believe he has said in other threads that he uses a local decal shop to make his labels.

maysink

Hey, Jacob, do you drill pre- or post-label application? Your shizz always looks mighty professional, at any rate...
[nothing to see here]
-e

jkokura

First off, thanks guys! I work hard at making stuff look great, and I get better with every pedal I build I think.

Quote from: chip46 on September 11, 2011, 11:12:31 PM
Jacob, what method do you use for your decals? They all look great.

Thanks Chip. I've described it before elsewhere, but I can't find that post right now.

I use a vector graphics program to create my graphics based on templates I've got saved for the various pedal sizes I use with knob placement and such. As you can see above it's all standardized. Once the graphics are finished, I compile them and email the file to a local sign making shop. They print the graphics for me on clear vinyl decal stock in whatever colours they have available for me, including white, black and raspberry featured above. The graphics are then cut out with a laser cutter.

I print out the graphic template I made in my vector program, which I then centre and tape to the surface of the enclosures. Once on there, I use a punch and hammer to create markings for each of the holes to be drilled. This is how I get my graphics and knobs lined up so well. Once that's done, I use a drill press and drill out pilot holes before using a step bit to drill out each hole to the correct size.

Once that's all done, I use a small amount of baby shampoo in water to wet the enclosure and the back of the sticky decals I've had printed. I slide the decal into place, then proceed to use a little scraper to push out all the water and air bubbles trapped by the decal. Once that's all done, I let them dry out for a few days before applying my clear coating, which is a clear polyurethane I brush on and back in a small toaster oven. I apply three coats to the tops and two to the bottoms of each enclosure to protect the finish of the enclosure and ensure there will be no problems with the decal coming up or being damaged. It's pretty durable, but not as durable as a silk screening.

I will be looking seriously at setting up my own powder coating and silk screening rigs this fall/winter.

Quote from: maysink on September 12, 2011, 01:28:19 AM
Hey, Jacob, do you drill pre- or post-label application? Your shizz always looks mighty professional, at any rate...

I answered above, but I drill pre decal. Thanks very much, I'll be launching a line of my own designed pedals soon.

Jacob
JMK PCBs *New Website*

chip46

Awesome, thanks for the info. Saved it for future reference.

bigmufffuzzwizz

These all look soo good. I need to get the decal thing down! I hit up a few local stores around me and none of them would print out any decals..Why does this keep defeating me! Anyways great job on all of them! I'm curious about the vibrato your making? Are most of these your own pedal designs??
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

jkokura

Most of them are my versions of established circuits. The Vibrato is an optical based pitch vibrator. The Trem is transistor type. Opto comp speaks for itself. Robot is based on the Rebote 2. Neutron is a TS type. Phaser is going to be a stock 45. The looper is the new looper project Madbean put out, hence the Mobius loop on the front.

Jacob
JMK PCBs *New Website*

Haberdasher

Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS