News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

TimRay

Started by pickdropper, November 06, 2017, 12:40:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pickdropper

A while back, a friend of mine asked if I would do a mini Jan Ray Vemuram.  Since I had already done a Timmy layout, I agreed to modify it and get a few boards made.  I finally got around to making artwork for it and building one up.  I really like the way the build looks, I'm still not sure I'm sold on the circuit yet.  So far, I prefer the Timmy, but I haven't played enough with this yet.

FWIW, this is my etching fixture for laser engraving.  The box screws to the fixture to hold it in a defined place.

Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

brejna

Awesome build as always. Do you have spare pcbs, I would like to buy one if possible..

Cheers
Brane

pickdropper

Quote from: brejna on November 06, 2017, 12:57:38 PM
Awesome build as always. Do you have spare pcbs, I would like to buy one if possible..

Cheers
Brane

I have two or three.  I didn't buy many.  If you want one, shoot me a PM
Function f(x)

storyboardist

As always, that's a great looking build. Nice work with the engraver template too.
Guy behind Effects Layouts

flanagan0718

MAN that thing looks perfect!

BrianS

Adam_DIY

Insane levels of perfection as usual.

trotel

Looks beautiful!  I like how the rays bend over the top.

m-Kresol

Love the simplicity of the artwork. still optically very effective.
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

287m

Amazing build as always
==
here the question came :D
are you always use flying wire the pots? and not stranded?

pickdropper

Quote from: 287m on November 06, 2017, 06:37:56 PM
Amazing build as always
==
here the question came :D
are you always use flying wire the pots? and not stranded?

It is stranded wire.  I use 3-conductor stranded ribbon wire to go from the board to the pots.  It's Amphenol Spectra-Flex.  I used 4-conductor Spectra-Flex to go from the PCB to the 3PDT switch board.  The rest of the wire is Small Bear pre-bond wire.  That stuff is great to work with.
Function f(x)

Martan

Looks awesome! I love the depth around the laser work. Nice work on the jig for holding the pedal. Is there a defined spot for aiming the laser at or is it just the top right corner?

juansolo

Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

pickdropper

Quote from: Martan on November 07, 2017, 03:45:24 PM
Looks awesome! I love the depth around the laser work. Nice work on the jig for holding the pedal. Is there a defined spot for aiming the laser at or is it just the top right corner?

The laser itself always references to the upper left corner.  The problem with that is that there is a little bit of variability in the enclosures themselves, especially after powder coat.

The advantage of the fixture is that it puts the screws in a defined location so I can use the center of the enclosure as the focal point.  This theoretically will help center the artwork even if there is a bit of dimensional variation.

There is still the issue of the laser calibration itself changing over time.  The best way is to do a full recalibration of the bed regularly, but that's very time consuming and easy to get wrong.  Instead, I offset the fixture with a 1x1 spacer.  Periodically, I recut a new spacer.  Even if it's not truly at the 1x1 reference point, the software thinks it is so it still works.
Function f(x)

soldersqueeze

Your pedals are cleaner, prettier and better made than any production pedal i've ever owned. This is no exception. Wonderful work.