News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Plate your own vias / through-hole pads? Sure!

Started by culturejam, November 02, 2017, 11:05:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

selfdestroyer

Leevibe

jubal81

"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

EBK

I was having fun with diy electroplating just the other day.  Isn't hard to set up, but feels a little weird as if you're setting up a meth lab.   :P
Threw a thin layer of copper onto some coins as a test (didn't bother cleaning the coins first, which have made them look much better):

Copper acetate and peracetic acid solution, by the way:
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

culturejam

Quote from: jubal81 on November 03, 2017, 03:32:23 AM
DIWhy?

I'm with you there. And if I'm being honest, it's getting harder to justify DIY pedals when I can get a decent Chinese clone almost anything (including digital shit I can't even make myself) for $30.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: culturejam on November 03, 2017, 01:26:40 PM
I'm with you there. And if I'm being honest, it's getting harder to justify DIY pedals when I can get a decent Chinese clone almost anything (including digital shit I can't even make myself) for $30.

THIS is generally why I only build or DIY pedals that are not currently cloned.

pickdropper

Quote from: culturejam on November 03, 2017, 01:26:40 PM
Quote from: jubal81 on November 03, 2017, 03:32:23 AM
DIWhy?

You are dead to me.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

culturejam

Quote from: pickdropper on November 03, 2017, 02:30:27 PM
You are dead to me.

;D

Maybe I was a little too strong in my comment. I like building pedals because it's fun, not because it's cheap. And I'll always like hand-made boutique stuff. But man, the cheap clones do make me evaluate what I'm doing in a DIY sense.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

pickdropper

Quote from: culturejam on November 03, 2017, 06:12:20 PM
Quote from: pickdropper on November 03, 2017, 02:30:27 PM
You are dead to me.

;D

Maybe I was a little too strong in my comment. I like building pedals because it's fun, not because it's cheap. And I'll always like hand-made boutique stuff. But man, the cheap clones do make me evaluate what I'm doing in a DIY sense.

Obviously joking.  Cost is a reasonable argument as you can buy cheap Chinese for about the same price as making one.  That said, I expect anything I built to use much higher quality hardware and last a lot longer.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

davent

If i need a plated through hole in a diy pcb, i pop in an eyelet and it does the job. You can get very small Keystone eyelets from at least Mouser.

dave

"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?