News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Pedalboard Staples

Started by greyscales, September 08, 2011, 06:40:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

greyscales

We all have them, we all want to know what everyone else's are, so I figure why not share?

What are your essentials on a pedalboard?
Try to be specific and not just say "an overdrive, a fuzz, and a delay." Otherwise we would never know what kind of sounds you actually use.

For instance: my staples right now are a Zvex Fuzz Factory, a Boss DD-20, and a Hardwire Reverb. The Fuzz Factory can pull off some pleasant overdriven tones with the guitar volume rolled down some, so I have used it more and more recently.

thetrend77

mjcyates

My essentials board currently has a GFS Tuner, Visual Sound Garage Tone Drivetrain Overdrive, Barber Direct Drive, Sunking and/or MXR Classic Overdrive, and Rebote 2.5 Delay. My really bare essentials would be tuner, Barber Direct Drive, and any decent boost for leads.

chip46

My favorite "go to" pedals would have to be my Boneyard (PlexiTone) and Malekko Ekko 616. About to finish up the Sunking and Glitterratti. Excited to hear those two.

JakeFuzz

Fuzz Face, Fulldrive and the Carbon Copy. Those are the essentials that I pretty much use for everything. Everything else seems less versatile/necessary.

dwstanford

At the moment, my go to pedals are fuzz face, rangemaster, vox tonebender, ge fuzzrite, white finger compressor, mxr ten band eq, USA big muff, fulldrive 2,  cathedral reverb.  This is my mega fuzz rig.  I run it into the clean channel of my Orange TH30.  Killer diller.

slimtriggers

Essentials are tubescreamer and Nova Repeater.  The Boneyard has a pretty solid spot on the board now, too.

At the moment I'm also using the Serendipity and the LaVache.  I like the versatility of the Serendipity Drive, but I don't think it will displace the tubescreamer.  The LaVache wasn't for me at first, but I'm actually starting to warm up to it. 8)

snz728

boneyard now because its my latest build and when i use my Marshall studio 15 it is like having another channel.

jkokura

Hmm...

i have a hard time answering this post, because I have 4 different pedalboards on the go...

On my Acoustic board nothing has changed in a long, long time. Boss TU-2, modded CE-3, and RV-3 going into a Radial ProDI. Great stuff.

On my new PT mini I have an all boss setup, with lots of modded stuff on it, but I don't think I'll ever take the DD-7 or RV-5 off without replacing them with something very good.

On my PT-JR, the only thing that's not changing right now is the El Capistan. I paid too much for it not to be used at all times. I also feel like the Barber Tone Press Red I just got will stay a long time. Everything else is optional, but I always have a few types of pedals on there: Drive, Trem, and Reverb. I really like the combo of a Sunking and a DIY Timmy on there, I have plans to build a combo box with those two in a 1790NS...

On my PT-2 there's nothing that's a staple. I am willing to change everything.

I am also in the works of saving up for another large board, either a PT Pro or other similar type of board that will be entirely DIY stuff. I won't let there be ANY commercial stuff on there. I cycle my DIY pedals in on a fairly regular basis on pretty much all of my boards, but I want something that's dedicated to the DIY stuff.

I find it interesting however that both in my post and in the posts above most of us are quoting non DIY pedals as our staples. Is that because we actually don't like our DIY stuff as much as our non-DIY stuff, or is it because we can't build the digitally controlled Delays and Reverbs and things yet?

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

cjkbug

a germanium fuzz face is an absolute requirement for me. between a good set of transistors and my guitars volume knob, I can get a myriad of fantastic fuzz, overdrive, sparkling clean and semi-clean sounds. I can usually just leave it on all the time. A good univibe type of pedal is handy to have because you can get very close to a phase, flange, and chorus sounds with one pedal. Right now I use the foxrox aquavibe which is by far the best I've played due to the center control. A nice sounding delay is important to have if my amp doesn't have reverb. I really don't like having too dry of a sound, I really like to have at least a little ambience. if I could only have those 3 I could be satisfied. but I'm glad I can have whatever comes down the pike.
I got blisters on my fingers!!!

dwstanford

Quote from: jkokura on September 09, 2011, 12:46:04 AM
On my PT-JR, the only thing that's not changing right now is the El Capistan.

How do you like the el capistan?  Ive been looking at different tape echo type pedals and ive pretty much decided on the capistan or the catalinbread montevillian echo.  I prefer the capistan, but it is pretty expensive. 

timbo_93631

My board:
vintage crybaby with mods (actually sits off board right, is battery powered and big) > rangemaster clone > uproar > aquaboy with dual delay (finally calibrated & working well!) > bad stone clone > one knob fuzz > echobase > TU-2.  I also have a tremolo on/off switch in a 1590A for my '61 Supro 1616t in the top left corner of my board.  All of this on a Gator Pedal Tote with the G-BUS-8 brick.  My compact music machine!
Sunday Musical Instruments LLC.
Sunday Handwound Pickups

jkokura

Quote from: dwstanford on September 09, 2011, 02:55:36 AM
Quote from: jkokura on September 09, 2011, 12:46:04 AM
On my PT-JR, the only thing that's not changing right now is the El Capistan.

How do you like the el capistan?  Ive been looking at different tape echo type pedals and ive pretty much decided on the capistan or the catalinbread montevillian echo.  I prefer the capistan, but it is pretty expensive. 

I really like it a lot! I was a little skeptical at first, but I find it's very musical and I can find many applications for it. Like I said, the only pedal on that board I can see for sure not coming off is the El Capistan.

That said, I'm very seriously contemplating selling it in order to buy the timeline. I understand that the El Capistan is a more full fledged Tape Echo pedal, but because I often use multiple delays on my board and switch between them often I'm considering moving to one strymon pedal. It's either that or getting the Brigadier to be that second pedal one day.

Quote from: timbo_93631 on September 09, 2011, 05:33:48 AM
My board:
vintage crybaby with mods (actually sits off board right, is battery powered and big) > rangemaster clone > uproar > aquaboy with dual delay (finally calibrated & working well!) > bad stone clone > one knob fuzz > echobase > TU-2.  I also have a tremolo on/off switch in a 1590A for my '61 Supro 1616t in the top left corner of my board.  All of this on a Gator Pedal Tote with the G-BUS-8 brick.  My compact music machine!

Sounds like a great setup Timbo. However, we're not so much talking about our setups but rather which of the pedals we use that we could not do without. If you were to narrow it down to a few pedals on your board that you could say will always be there and never be removed, which would they be?

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

dwstanford

Quote from: timbo_93631 on September 09, 2011, 05:33:48 AM
my '61 Supro 1616t

That is an awesome amp!  Im super jealous.  I know a guy who has one (not sure what year) and i can understand the hype.  Ive been looking for one or a similar supro for a long time.  Im kicking myslef because i had a guy offer me a broken surpo thunderbolt years ago and i didnt buy it because at the time i didnt even entertain the idea of fixing an amp myself and i thought, "$100 for a broken amp? No way!"  (facepalm)

Rocktifier

If I had to pick, I would have to say Cusack Screamer, Keeley Rat, Empress Vintage Modified Superdelay and TU-2...no one wants to hear you play out of tune  ;)