News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

The Last Jedi

Started by Leevibe, October 10, 2017, 03:58:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leevibe

I've never understood comparisons between Star Wars and Star Trek. To me that would be like comparing a Fender Mustang to the fender off of an old Mustang.

culturejam

Quote from: Muadzin on October 23, 2017, 10:54:46 AM
and what struck me as a huge failing was that they tried to explain the exhaust port weakness from ANH.

I actually liked this. I think it's better delivered on screen than read in a summary.

Why don't you watch Rogue One and find out? It won't take that much time out your life, and if you hate it then you'll actually be justified in shit-talking.  ;)
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

thesmokingman

looking solely on TFA for explanation of ability, I'm not really seeing the mary sue. not a particularly successful scavenger(barely getting by), not particularly good at piloting the falcon, managed to make the freighter situation worse by letting the monsters loose, freaked out by the force visions, barely fought off a very injured kylo ren to escape.
once upon a time I was Tornado Alley FX

matmosphere

I'm surprised that people get so caught up in this stuff. I love me some Star Wars, but but high art it is not. These are popcorn movies, there for a good time.

On a spectrum with the extremes of entertainment and fine art, Star Wars would be much closer to Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure than it would be to Cinema Paradiso. That's not a bad thing at all, but i find it helpful to set my expectations lower for the entertainment end of things.

Like with most things in life, I do have standards, but they're pretty low  ;D

thesmokingman

unfortunately nobody is discussing blade runner ...

matmosphere

I haven't had a chance to see it yet. Does the new one still have the heavy Noir influence. I've always liked the style of the first one more than the movie itself. From a visual standpoint it's very well done.

I enjoyed the source material more than the film itself. PK Dick is one of my favorite authors. The movie is more inspired by the book, not actually based on the book, which always bugged me when I was younger.

Muadzin

Quote from: Leevibe on October 23, 2017, 02:00:31 PM
I've never understood comparisons between Star Wars and Star Trek. To me that would be like comparing a Fender Mustang to the fender off of an old Mustang.

The debate is as old as the first Star Wars movie itself. As I said, nerds get passionate over the things they like and really serious too. Both fandoms have been at each others throats for decades and the internet made it easier to fight it out online. There are whole webcommunities devoted to that. I used to be a member at spacebattles.com and people could debate endlessly which would win, a Galaxy class starship vs. an Imperial Star Destroyer. They would actually calculate how destructive each side's weapons were based on onscreen evidence and tech manuals. Closest analogy I can think of would be people who prefer Fender guitars and those who prefer Gibson's. Or sports fans and their favorite teams. But don't diss this as stupid, because A: it means something to these people, B: its still leagues above the retardation of football fans of different teams bashing each other's skulls in, and C: we all have something that we get passionate about that other people find stupid as well.

Anyway, in this context its not about which franchise is better because it's JJ Abrams which is the common link, having directed both Star Trek and Star Wars. With the same result. Lots of glossy spin obfuscating that underneath it all the movie is still a turd.

Quote from: culturejam on October 23, 2017, 02:17:23 PMI actually liked this. I think it's better delivered on screen than read in a summary.

Why don't you watch Rogue One and find out? It won't take that much time out your life, and if you hate it then you'll actually be justified in shit-talking.  ;)

I'll watch it if it ever makes it on television. Not that I want to be pedantic, and if I come across I apologize, but.... after TFA I just can't be arsed to make the effort to watch a Star Wars movie anymore.

Quote from: thesmokingman on October 23, 2017, 10:19:07 PM
looking solely on TFA for explanation of ability, I'm not really seeing the mary sue. not a particularly successful scavenger(barely getting by), not particularly good at piloting the falcon, managed to make the freighter situation worse by letting the monsters loose, freaked out by the force visions, barely fought off a very injured kylo ren to escape.

Dude, she takes on a trained Sith warrior and suddenly has Jedi powers? Even Luke could barely do anything before going to Jedi College on Dagobah. Have you ever fought against a trained martial artist with no training yourself? You'll quickly become an object lesson. I've sparred against a few and it was that they were taking things easy on me, or otherwise it would be over very quickly. And I had at least been taught a few of the basic things. Rey knew Jack Shit! And she still flies the damn Falcon into space, having no prior experience. Maybe if she had been playing Wing Commander for all of her life I could have bought some of  that, or the thing was flying on auto pilot (like in TPM (and that was already pretty bad)), but it would be akin to the two dudes from Tremors finding a jet fighter and suddenly being able to pilot it. I don't buy it. I've read enough bad fan fiction to notice a Mary Sue when I see one.

Like I said, Abrams is VERY adept at polishing up a turd and make it look good. That is all he's good at. Coming up with a good original story and characters, not at all. He's like Michael Bay, only Bay's movies are a physical assault on your senses.

thesmokingman

Quote from: Matmosphere on October 24, 2017, 04:13:00 AM
I haven't had a chance to see it yet. Does the new one still have the heavy Noir influence. I've always liked the style of the first one more than the movie itself. From a visual standpoint it's very well done.

I enjoyed the source material more than the film itself. PK Dick is one of my favorite authors. The movie is more inspired by the book, not actually based on the book, which always bugged me when I was younger.
the heavy noir is still there, it is visually stunning, presents even better philosophical issues regarding AI, and the only people I've caught complaining either hate everything anyways or didn't see the original and so they don't get it.

back to the star wars crap ... probably time to dial this back about 25% considering the ewoks defeated a mechanized army and they're little more than angry teddy bears. Singling out a particular female character in an entire series of films that are seemingly based around youthful protagonists improbably failing upwards seems misogynistic, which is where I felt like retorting ... it is a serial western set in space with eastern religion overtones, not exactly hardcore literature(the fat guy is named Porkins for crying out loud). my original comment was more a sarcastic admission that I just watched a new hope over again, not some invite into whatever this argument is.

midwayfair

Quote from: Matmosphere on October 24, 2017, 04:13:00 AM

My wife saw it Sunday, she said it was at least as good as the original. She also said that the cinematography and especially lighting and sound were fantastic, and she rarely comments on that stuff.

Also, she didn't complain about the ending, so the ending must have been, like, the best ending to any movie ever.

/highjack

Leevibe

I'm pretty excited to see it. Just watched the original again last week. It would be really wrong if they ditched the noir feel. It's my favorite bing about the original.

alanp

Quote from: Muadzin on October 24, 2017, 09:06:47 AM
Anyway, in this context its not about which franchise is better because it's JJ Abrams which is the common link, having directed both Star Trek and Star Wars. With the same result. Lots of glossy spin obfuscating that underneath it all the movie is still a turd.

It's obvious, of course.

Both of them would lose -- to the Imperium of Man and the God-Emperor of Mankind.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

Muadzin

Quote from: thesmokingman on October 24, 2017, 01:50:02 PM
back to the star wars crap ... probably time to dial this back about 25% considering the ewoks defeated a mechanized army and they're little more than angry teddy bears. Singling out a particular female character in an entire series of films that are seemingly based around youthful protagonists improbably failing upwards seems misogynistic, which is where I felt like retorting ... it is a serial western set in space with eastern religion overtones, not exactly hardcore literature(the fat guy is named Porkins for crying out loud). my original comment was more a sarcastic admission that I just watched a new hope over again, not some invite into whatever this argument is.

So this is what PC has become then? Any criticism of a female character is now misogyny? Shall I add racism then by saying that I though that the black renegade Stormtrooper had even less character depth then Jar Jar Binks? Mary Sue or Gary Sue, it doesn't matter what they have between their legs, either is bad. And Rey happens to be the biggest Mary Sue in Hollywood movie history. Even the Ewoks pale in comparison. And they were Teddy Sues already. And I don't care if Star Wars is movie art, or just some dumb ass pop corn movie, I want to be entertained by a movie with a good story. One that doesn't make me sit up and say hang on....., something is not right here. Each Star Wars movie costs hundreds of millions of dollars to make, and this was the best script and characters they could come up with? I've read fanfiction that was better written then this.

Quote from: alanp on October 25, 2017, 04:08:39 AMIt's obvious, of course.

Both of them would lose -- to the Imperium of Man and the God-Emperor of Mankind.

That goes without saying. The Emperor protects!

Which reminds me, I have to take some pics of my last guitar build.

Leevibe

No more rhyming now. I mean it!!

Does anybody want a peanut?

juansolo

Quote from: thesmokingman on October 24, 2017, 01:03:20 AM

...and barely anyone went to see it judging by my showing.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

Leevibe

Quote from: juansolo on October 25, 2017, 03:04:59 PM
Quote from: thesmokingman on October 24, 2017, 01:03:20 AM

...and barely anyone went to see it judging by my showing.

I'm going soon. Pretty excited about it.