News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Any interesting MN3005 projects out there/coming up?

Started by peAk, October 09, 2017, 08:03:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peAk

Having already built the AquaBoy Deluxe and the Total Recall (Both Fabulous BTW), I was curious if there have been anymore interesting DIY delays come out since the release of the Xvive chips?

I have a couple of extra chips that I would like to put to use if there's anything interesting out there.

culturejam

I'm not aware of any, but that doesn't mean much. The last 12-18 months, I've not been paying as much attention to what's happening outside of this forum (and only some of that).

Why don't you see if you can get a group-design project going? Might be fun to have a crowd-sourced delay project.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

Scruffie

I know at some point me and Keefe plan to do the old MXR green delay that used SAD1024 with tracking filters.
Works at Lectric-FX

peAk

Quote from: Scruffie on October 10, 2017, 12:50:27 PM
I know at some point me and Keefe plan to do the old MXR green delay that used SAD1024 with tracking filters.

Ahh, that sounds interesting. 

I am surprised, however, that there aren't more projects out there right now utilizing the chips. I realize they still aren't cheap and I am sure that designing a BBD delay is probably pretty involved but I would have thought by now there would have been some options.

Effectsiation

Count me in for this one! The MXR M-118 Analog Delay is a classic, was hoping someone would do this.

Scruffie

I guess the problem is a lot of the vintage BBD delays were pretty samey, you can build most of them around the DM-2/Aquaboy topology.

Plus it's a risk as a project, it's going to be a large board whatever and other than the DM-2 and DMM and to a lesser extent the MXR, there's no vintage BBD delays I can think of with a particularly big following, i'd love to do some of the other vintage EHX delays but, they probably wouldn't sell too well.
Works at Lectric-FX

Scruffie

Quote from: Effectsiation on October 10, 2017, 03:49:42 PM

Count me in for this one! The MXR M-118 Analog Delay is a classic, was hoping someone would do this.
Yeah it should be a good one, should give about 800mS from 2 x MN3005 too which is probably its biggest selling point.
Works at Lectric-FX

Effectsiation

That's cool! For those who don't know, Andy Summers (The Police) and Mark Knopfler (Dire Straits) were both users of the MXR-118.

midwayfair

Quote from: Effectsiation on October 10, 2017, 05:30:55 PM
and Mark Knopfler (Dire Straits) were both users of the MXR-118.

You can see it in some shots here:

(That concert is fantastic, by the way, especially Single Handed Sailor, plus you get to see Knopfler bugger up Sultans of all things.)

It was pretty much only live, though. I'm not sure they used it on the early recordings. I got to mess around with one at Invisible Sound. Theirs had MN3005s in it, which I thought was strange.

Scruffie

You learn something new every day, I didn't know it had any famous users let alone them.
Quote from: midwayfair on October 11, 2017, 12:13:08 PM
Theirs had MN3005s in it, which I thought was strange.
Really? As far as I know it only used SAD1024 or R5101, I guess they must have had it modded for longer delay.
Works at Lectric-FX

Effectsiation

Quote from: Scruffie on October 11, 2017, 12:40:50 PM
You learn something new every day, I didn't know it had any famous users let alone them.
Really? As far as I know it only used SAD1024 or R5101, I guess they must have had it modded for longer delay.

As far as I know, it only used the SAD1024 or R5101 as well. However there were also a bunch of NOS MXR M-118 PCBs on eBay a while ago where a guy adapted them to use a PT2399.  Adapting to a MN3005 would probably add quite a bit to the PCB. Any chance you could get a photo or 2 next time you go, midwayfair?

Also, Neil Young apparently uses the M-118 as well.

midwayfair

Quote from: Effectsiation on October 11, 2017, 02:44:21 PM
Quote from: Scruffie on October 11, 2017, 12:40:50 PM

As far as I know, it only used the SAD1024 or R5101 as well. However there were also a bunch of NOS MXR M-118 PCBs on eBay a while ago where a guy adapted them to use a PT2399.  Adapting to a MN3005 would probably add quite a bit to the PCB. Any chance you could get a photo or 2 next time you go, midwayfair?

Also, Neil Young apparently uses the M-118 as well.

I think they closed. They aren't doing open houses anymore for certain.

I wonder if maybe it was a different model. It was bigger than I expected. They had a lot of really odd stuff, the place was like a museum. So many cool toys.