News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Mini ToneBender MkI

Started by pickdropper, August 22, 2017, 07:57:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pickdropper

Just finished this for a gentleman on TGP.  It's a TB MkI with a voltage inverter circuit in a 1590a. He wanted it a more traditional build with simple graphics similar to the original. I couldn't fit Tone Bender in a single like like the original, so I staggered the Tone and Bender. I used a Pewter Vein enclosure for the first time, which has a cool textured look, but has basically zero contrast when laser etched (the text is basically invisible). So I had to back fill with black acrylic paint and then clean it up with alcohol.

I actually did two boards, one with adjustable bias and one with fixed bias. I built both to verify. Soooo, since I had an extra populated board, I threw it in a Bowie-esque silver sparkle enclosure I had kicking around. I went with period-incorrect graphics similar to the Tonebender MkII, because that's what I wanted to do. ;-)

Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

jubal81

Impeccable. Great layout and definitely prefer the clean lines on 'yours.'

I've been thinking it'd be fun to do a layout like that with SMD IC and power supply parts on the backside so just the MOJOs are visible.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

jimilee

Classic pickdropper, so. Lean and neat. First one looks like a tombstone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

pickdropper

Quote from: jubal81 on August 22, 2017, 08:05:04 PM
Impeccable. Great layout and definitely prefer the clean lines on 'yours.'

I've been thinking it'd be fun to do a layout like that with SMD IC and power supply parts on the backside so just the MOJOs are visible.

Or you could confuse people and put the Mojo on the underside and the SMD parts on top. ;-)
Function f(x)

pickdropper

Quote from: jimilee on August 22, 2017, 08:26:26 PM
Classic pickdropper, so. Lean and neat. First one looks like a tombstone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You know, it does sort of look like a tombstone.  I hadn't thought of that.
Function f(x)

storyboardist

Holy crap that's clean. What a layout! Well done.
Guy behind Effects Layouts

Bret608

Wow! This is actually the first time I remember seeing a MkI on a fabbed PCB at all, much less in a 1590a. I'm sure the bias trimmers help as this circuit is very picky about transistors. If you have a big enough stash of germaniums with a range of gains and leakeages, it's not as hard to build as people say. Anyway, I like the look of both these builds quite a lot.

wgc

Cool builds!  I like the pewter wrinkle finish. Kind of a throwback look but with a modern 1590a sans serif spin.

Have to laugh at this thread because I just yesterday finished an npn smd tonebender layout. I also did one variant with smd and npn germs. No mojo and submojo.

But also smiling because of the lone smd resistor on the switch pcb.
always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.
e.e. cummings

Adam_DIY

Wow they look amazing simply wow. 

cajone5

Awesome work. So clean. Wish I could build in those tiny enclosures and maintain my sanity

Govmnt_Lacky

Out of curiosity... what does one of those go for?

flanagan0718

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on August 24, 2017, 12:56:04 PM

Kan I Haz PCB two?  <('o'<)

-Mike-

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: flanagan0718 on August 24, 2017, 01:22:37 PM

-Mike-

LOL.... actually I was referring to a full build. How much for a completed build?

pickdropper

I quoted $180, but ended up cutting it down to $170 as an apology for how long to finish it.
Function f(x)

pickdropper

Quote from: flanagan0718 on August 24, 2017, 01:22:37 PM

-Mike-

I am actually going to post my semi-annual list of PCBs that I have for sale.  These will be included in that.
Function f(x)