News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

what is the best investment you guys have made?

Started by cjkbug, September 03, 2011, 05:43:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

raulduke

I think the best investment I made was taking the time to shift a load of crap out of the garage and make a workstation area for my pedal building stuff.

It means I can just pop into the garage for an hour and the missus doesn't get annoyed with all the mess!

keysandguitars

Quote from: cjkbug on September 03, 2011, 05:43:09 PM
mine would be a samsung 310 series laser printer. it makes awesome transfer artwork for etching, and flawless waterslide decals that don't need clearcoat prior to apllication. got it at office max on clearance for $59!!!

I can't find the Samsung 310 online. Does this link look like the same printer, perhaps the newer version? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16828112238&nm_mc=OTC-Froogle&cm_mmc=OTC-Froogle-_-Printer+-+Laser+Printers-_-SAMSUNG-_-28112238
I should still be a "diode destroyer"!

culturejam

If I had to pick one thing, it would be the Xytronic soldering station I bought last year. What a well-made piece of equipment. :)

After that, I'd say that the sort of cheap DMM I bought several years ago is the next best thing. It measures damn near everything.

Then I'd say the following are my favorite/most useful bits of gear:

• Peak Atlas: DCA and LCR. Both are awesome.
• Solder-sucker: the spring loaded kind.
• IC puller
• LED tester
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

cjkbug

Quote from: keysandguitars on September 10, 2011, 09:27:04 PM
Quote from: cjkbug on September 03, 2011, 05:43:09 PM
mine would be a samsung 310 series laser printer. it makes awesome transfer artwork for etching, and flawless waterslide decals that don't need clearcoat prior to apllication. got it at office max on clearance for $59!!!

I can't find the Samsung 310 online. Does this link look like the same printer, perhaps the newer version? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16828112238&nm_mc=OTC-Froogle&cm_mmc=OTC-Froogle-_-Printer+-+Laser+Printers-_-SAMSUNG-_-28112238
that's it more or less, mines the 315, I believe it's discontinued now that's why I got it for $60
I got blisters on my fingers!!!

keysandguitars

Thanks cjkbug. My laser printer died in my office so I'm thinking I can get the company to buy a new one...maybe I'd kick in a few bucks if needed and pick that one up :)

culturejam: what LED tester did you buy, where'd you get it? I could use one...unless it's easy/cheaper to build one.

Mike @ Rawkworks

A good iron! I was going thru 2 or 3 wally world irons a month, with less than ideal results.
Second is....*ghasp* a multimeter! Had one from the beginning and couldn't imagine life without it.
Next on the list an o-scope/function generator, I think its about that time.

And for Samsung guys (or any laser printers really), just in case you don't, before you print change the setting to "thick paper" if you're using photo stock!
Mike
mike@rawkworks.com

bigmufffuzzwizz

Quote from: tyronethebig on September 16, 2011, 04:31:46 AM
And for Samsung guys (or any laser printers really), just in case you don't, before you print change the setting to "thick paper" if you're using photo stock!

I do that with Pnp, maybe that's what I did wrong with the waterslide decals?
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

TNblueshawk

Taking it a different direction and being fairly new to this, my TIME is the best investment and the most precious. By that I mean I've spent the time reading on a particular forum, countless hours, in an effort to learn. I could have taken the easy way out and just posted question after question but I knew my questions have been asked before. Now, that doens't mean I didn't ask some questions I'm still embarrassed about to this day  :-[

If I was to go with something physical, the Hakko I got a few months back I suppose.
John

crash

Does anybody have any suggestions for a decent printer?  Currently I do not have one and don't know squat about them.

TNblueshawk

Quote from: crash on September 22, 2011, 12:19:16 AM
Does anybody have any suggestions for a decent printer?  Currently I do not have one and don't know squat about them.

I can only atest to my inkjet which prints up killer water slide decals etc.. without a hitch. It is an HP Photosmart. Forget the actual model/number though.
John

keysandguitars

TNblueshawk, what kind/brand of clear do you use for your inkjet? If you recall or get the model number that'd be sweet. I have access to a bunch of HP inkjets and am currently debating if I should buy a color laser printer or just use inkjet.

TNblueshawk

Hey Key, it is a Photosmart Premium 310 series and it is out of magenta ink right now  :(

I use these water slides, both clear and white http://www.texascraft.com/hps/home.php?cat=250

They were recommended to me by some others and I am so pleased with them I really have not tried elsewhere. I suppose maybe they could be found cheaper especially if you can avoid shipping and go locally , dunno.
John

jprizz

I just got me one of those "automatic" wire strippers - the kind that pulls the stripped end off as you squeeze. Seriously, get one. Seriously. Now I'm talking like Homestar Runner...
-Josh

jimmybjj

Quote from: jprizz on September 26, 2011, 02:52:22 AM
I just got me one of those "automatic" wire strippers - the kind that pulls the stripped end off as you squeeze. Seriously, get one. Seriously. Now I'm talking like Homestar Runner...
-Josh

I have one but it doesn't work with teflon wire  >:(
Pcbs no longer available

gtr2

Quote from: jprizz on September 26, 2011, 02:52:22 AM
-Josh

Do you have a link or brand?  I have a pair and they mar the wire up to much for my liking.
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer